Saturday, October 12, 2013

God's Magic Eraser

Magic Erasers-have you heard about them?  They really are magic.  You simply moisten this spongy thing and wipe marks off walls, floors, and just about anything else.  I imagine mothers with young children love this new invention.  How else do you get crayon and lipstick off walls?

I had this great idea to "paint" scripture in various places in my house-above the doorways, on certain walls, above windows.  I even collected the scripture verses in a notebook and categorized them according to room-each room had a theme.  I was so excited!  I went out and bought these "paint pens"--they are kind of like permanent markers, but they have paint in them instead.  

I tested the first one out over the shower-Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow (Psalm 51:7). It didn't look so bad. So I continued into the "back room," which is essentially one big room where we have our kitchen table.  It also serves as a mudroom and sitting room. It's sort of the everything room. I tried a verse over the window, near the table:  When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you (Deut 8:10)

That one didn't turn out so great. First, it was longer than the window, so once I got to the end of the window, I wasn't sure where to go, so I just kept going past the window, which sort of started into the next window. Even Brian thought it didn't look good, and he usually never says anything bad. The problem was, I didn't have any paint to cover it up. What to do?

Magic Eraser! I erased the end of the verse: for the good land he has given you--and left the rest. It took awhile, and I didn't get it all off; you can still see remnants of the old writing, and the paint where I scrubbed is a bit dulled, but from far away it looks a lot better. Honestly, it still doesn't look so great--it looked a lot better when it was just an idea.

Oh, I wish I had a Magic Eraser sometimes to erase the stupid, careless and thoughtless things I say. Or one to erase the wrongs I've committed against someone else, often without thinking, or even knowing. 

God has a Magic Eraser-it's called forgiveness. He offers it through His Son, Jesus Christ. When we allow Him into our lives, when we give up and give in, we allow the blood He shed on the cross to magically erase all our sins. He forgives us of all our sins-the ones we committed 20 years ago, the ones committed 20 minutes ago and the ones we will commit 20 seconds from now. 

He has another Magic Eraser-it's called mercy and He offers it to us daily (and I use it daily!). Sometimes he has to scrub pretty hard because the marks are quite stubborn. Sometimes, we can still see remnants of the old writing because of the consequences of sin, and sometimes the paint gets dulled from so much scrubbing. But unlike me, whose wrist got tired from scrubbing, who doubted that this thing could really work and wanted to give up, who became impatient with the amount of time it was taking, God is patient, loving and good in his forgiveness and mercy.

Those stupid, careless and thoughtless things we say and do? Yes, I know you do and say them too. They often hurt others. And just as often, those other people won't tell us that they've been hurt. How about the things which are done and said to us, the things that hurt us? We need to carry God's Magic Erasers with us. We can erase the hurts done both to us and by us by magically erasing them-by extending the same mercy and forgiveness God extends to us. By pushing past our pride. By being sensitive and caring and thinking about what we say and do. And when we know we've hurt someone, by simply saying, "I'm sorry." and asking for forgiveness. Don't let the Magic Erasers sit, unused in the cabinet. Freely you have received; freely give (Matthew 10:8).

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
Forgiveness (Matthew West)

No comments:

Post a Comment