Thursday, October 3, 2013

Laugh a Little!

I did something funny today.  I came out of the place where I get my morning coffee and started toward the crosswalk (That's not the funny thing...keep reading). As I did so, I dropped my keys (still not the funny part). I picked them up, and when I stood up, there was a line of cars stopped at the crosswalk on both sides, waiting for me to cross.  So I did.  As I waved thank you to the cars, and trotted across the street, I realized that my car was not across the street, but on the same side I just crossed from.  Now what?  I started to laugh. I walked down the sidewalk, as if I had a destination---I did.  It was across the street!  But there was a line of cars about 10 cars long on both sides and I couldn't very well walk back across the street I just crossed.  I just laughed and laughed! Out loud! It felt good to laugh.  And it felt really good to laugh at myself.   

I did cross the street again, out of the crosswalk, but in the vicinity.  I'm sure there were plenty of people who witnessed my mishap, and perhaps some who laughed along with me---or, more likely, at me. At that point, I really didn't care.  I had my moment of embarrassment, but the laughter diffused it.  

We all do silly things.  We get distracted in our thinking, and go about our business as if on autopilot.  The day before, I was so distracted, trying to get all my errands done during my lunch break, that I ran over the curb in the parking lot---twice!  The first time it was in front of me, and the second time it was next to me. (I had a heck of a time getting out of that parking spot!)  And today I told someone I had to go pick my husband up at the library instead of the hospital.  I have no idea why I said library.  But again, I had to laugh. 

It's important to laugh, especially at ourselves.  God laughed.  The one enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them (Psalm 2:4).  Granted, he laughed in a mocking sort of way at the rulers of nations and their plans to plot against Him.  But He laughed, nonetheless. Abraham laughed.  Sarah laughed.  Okay, another bad example.  They laughed at the ludicrous idea that they would become parents at a very old age.  If I was told that at this point in my life, laughter would not be my first reaction.  Tears would be more appropriate! And they would not be tears of joy!  

Let's try the Proverbs 31 Woman----she can laugh at the days to come (Prov 31:25).  Oh, now that's better!  That's pretty much what I did today.  And yesterday.  And tomorrow, I will most likely do another silly thing that I can laugh at.  

I love some of the translations for this verse:  She smiles at the future (NASV).  She is not afraid of the future (Good News Version). She is confident about the future (Common English Bible).  She always faces tomorrow with a smile (Message). And my favorite one:  She shall rejoice in time to come (NKJV).

Strong's Concordance defines "to laugh" as to rejoice!  To play!  To make merry!  And Proverbs 15:13 tells us that a merry heart makes a cheerful countenance (NKJV).  Other versions describe it as a joyful heart, a heart of gladness. 

Yes, there is the mocking kind of laugh.  There is the "are you kidding me?" laugh. The one that scoffs.  But the one that makes our heart merry is the playful laugh, the joyful laugh!  It relieves stress. it diffuses a tense situation.  It's contagious.  And it's good for you! So laugh a little today. Laugh a lot!  And laugh out loud!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

No song today-but hope you'll enjoy both of these!

Free Photo Booth pranks-Be prepared to laugh!
Laughter is the Best Medicine-a helpful article for further reading

No comments:

Post a Comment