Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Leave Me ALONE!

I am alone.  Completely alone.  

This is not a bad thing.  I am literally, physically alone.  Brian is still in the hospital, progressing nicely, but not ready to come home yet.  Because of the amount of traveling I'm doing between work and the hospital, I've farmed out the dogs (a smart step to living stress-free!--see yesterday's blog). 

So, you see, I am actually alone this evening (I am writing this on Monday evening).

It feels strange.  It feels nice.  I can't remember the last time I was completely alone.

I have to admit, I didn't fling open the windows like I normally do when Psycho Dog is around. If nothing else, she makes me feel safe.  I used the safety locks, so nobody can break in during the night.  When I took the trash out, I ran back to the house, thinking someone was lurking in the shadows.  I actually made myself laugh.   I wasn't really afraid, just not used to being alone.

I'm not sure what to do with myself. I cleaned out the fridge.  I cleaned up for the cleaning lady.  I took out the trash (but you already knew that). I sorted the wash. Why did I feel like I had to do anything?  Who would know if I didn't?  I'm alone!

Wikopedia defines alone as "solitude, a state of seclusion or isolation."  How many times have I said, "Leave me alone!  I just want to be ALONE!"---to my kids, to my dogs, to the world?  Do we really know what we're asking when we say that?

We all need to be alone at times. It's healthy to find solitude.  Jesus did.  Often.  But it's not healthy to isolate or go into seclusion.  Sadly, that happens a lot.  Many people find it easier to isolate than to reach out and ask for help-to ask for a friend.  It may be easier to retreat inward and find solace in their loneliness. Don't confuse being alone with being lonely.  Retreating into solitude to be alone recharges us.  Retreating into isolation to be alone leads to loneliness and...well...isolates us.

There are a lot of lonely people in the world.  People who feel alone.  Who are alone.  Young moms.  The elderly.  The forgotten.  The single.  The homeless.  The hungry.  The sick.  The grieving.  The misunderstood.  The widowed.  The outcasts. They may even be our friends, our co-workers, our family members. They may appear to be surrounded by people and even seem happy, but inside they are dying.  They feel so alone. Maybe they are you.  

The good news is that if our faith is in Jesus Christ, we are never alone. We may feel lonely, we may even feel alone but that is just a feeling.  It's not Truth.  The Holy Spirit is our Comforter. He never leaves us (Heb 13:5). Let's open our eyes today and look for those who need a comforting word, an encouraging smile, an antidote to loneliness-a touch of Jesus Christ through us.  

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God (2 Corinthians 1:5).

I couldn't make up my mind today--so here are three songs to choose from.  #1 is an edgy rock song; #2 is a pretty, reflective song and #3 is a Country song. They are all really good!

Never Alone (Barlow Girl)
You're Not Alone (Meredith Andrews)
You're Never Alone (Lady Antebellum)

Blessing Along the Path,
Mary










No comments:

Post a Comment