Wednesday, October 30, 2013

O Come Let Us Adorn Thee

People do some weird stuff in their cars. I've seen people do all sorts of things while they're driving: read the paper, work on their laptop, shave, pick their nose, put on make-up (I confess that I've done that!) and the strangest one-once I saw a man brushing his teeth! I love this whole Bluetooth thing because now I can freely talk to myself and people think I'm talking on my built in Bluetooth that I don't have. 

What's even more interesting than what people do in their cars is what people do with their cars-how they adorn them with things. Today I followed a girl with a calculator on her trunk. No lie! It was a little plastic, pink calculator. Now why, I wondered, would you put a calculator on the back of your car? I figured maybe she had a little business going out of her trunk and this way she'd always have a calculator on hand. Why else would you need one?

You can tell a lot about a driver by their bumper stickers. Maybe you remember back in the 80s (90s?) the one that said, "I found it!" and the retort to that, "I never lost it." I have no idea what "it" was supposed to be. The new ones now are, "My child is an honor student at ___School", but I love the retort to that one, "My child can beat up your honor student." or something like that. Other recent ones are the little people which depict your family or the three black letters in a white oval, which make sense only to the person who stuck the sticker on the car.

I used to have a fish on my car. But I had to be a really courteous driver, so I took it off. 

What we put on our car has a lot to say about who we are. If we adorn our car with Jesus things, we darn well better act like a Jesus thing. We wear crosses around our necks, we tatoo our bodies. We wear our slogans on our tee shirts so we don't really have to talk about them, but it gets the point across. When I go to Christian conferences or concerts, I see people wearing Jesus shirts, but rarely do I see them in public. It's safer to wear them where people understand our beliefs. But if we are bold enough to wear our Jesus things in public, we darn well better be prepared to act like a Jesus thing--and we darn well better be prepared to answer the questions that may come! 

What about you? What do you adorn yourself with? I'm talking spiritual clothes now...not your actual clothes. Do the people you work with know who you are, and to Whom you belong? Or do you hide it, wear it only to church, where it's safe, and people understand your beliefs? Do you act like a Jesus thing when you go to the grocery store, to the soccer field, to the car wash? You can't tell anything about a person who drives a non-descript car...are you a "non-descript" person? 

Paul, in his letter to the Romans, admonished the people to clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ (v14). Instead of wearing the Christian tee-shirt, or adorning the car with Christian bumper stickers, fish and calculators, we are to "wear" Jesus.  He doesn't want us to wear our "Jesus thing", although there is nothing wrong with that; rather we are told to wear Jesus Himself. Because we are His, we must clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...and over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity (Col 3:12-14). Think of it like this:

When you get dressed in the morning,

Put on your shirt of compassion
Put on your pants of kindness
Put on your socks of humility
Put on your shoes of gentleness
Grab a pretty scarf and wrap patience around your neck-you'll need it! (men-sorry, you'll just have to use your imagination here, or choose a sweatshirt or something!)
Your outfit may seem complete, but it's not. You need to take your coat of love out of the closet and button it up over the whole outfit. There! Now you're ready to go!

Oh, Jesus, we will adore Thee as we adorn Thee!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song/Video of the Day: "What About Now" (Chris Daughtry) 
Note: I don't know if this song is a "Christian" one or not, but the message is so important-it's a must see!
A Girl's Message to All Christians



No comments:

Post a Comment