Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Seek Peace and Pursue It!

I can't seem to get off the topic of rest/being still/peace...etc.  I guess because it's so important to me...to all of us. Where are we, what are we without peace? I'm not talking about world peace; although that is important, I'm not about to tackle that issue. Besides, we will never have outward peace until we have peace in our souls. Without that, we are lost. We worry. We overthink. We become afraid. A heart at peace gives life to the body (Prov 14:30).

If we desire to love life and see good days, we must ...seek peace and pursue it (Psalm 34:14). We need to actively and aggressively pursue peace. This is one of my favorite verses, because it constantly reminds me that peace is ongoing, fleeting. I had that peace for awhile, and I have never experienced anything so powerful and wonderful. It reminds me that it can so easily be lost.

I told someone today that my peace had been "stolen." Later, I realized that it had most certainly not been stolen; rather I had made a choice to turn my back on it, to turn away from the Peacegiver, Jesus Christ, and focus on my circumstances. 


Outward, worldly peace can be stolen. Wars break out, people are killed. But here's why our personal peace (rather than "inner" peace) cannot be stolen. First, Jesus is the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6). Second, Jesus told us Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid (John 14:27). Then, Paul instructs us in his letter to the Philippians not to be anxious, that when we pray, the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:6-8). And that if we think on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable, the God of Peace will be with us (v9).  I love that...peace of God/God of Peace. Like they're interchangeable.

If Jesus is called the Prince of Peace, and He tells us he is leaving peace with us...well then, it makes sense that He is leaving Himself. He's giving it-peace-to us. The peace of the God of peace is with us...full circle. We cannot dispute that. For me to say that my peace was stolen is like saying that someone stole Jesus away from me! Can't be done! He doesn't give us peace like the world gives...it's inexplicable. Peace in the midst of trials, turmoil, anxiety. Seek peace--be aggressive---actively pursue it, and when you you find it, hold on to it. Remember, no one can take it from you! If it's gone, you misplaced it. Go find it!

Blessings Along the Path, 
Mary

Song of the Day: Let the Peace of God Reign (Hillsongs)

No comments:

Post a Comment