Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Are You Serving Your Ego?

As I write this, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated. Yesterday's blog (which is actually still today, as I write this) did not get sent out. Yes, some of you received it, but you are on a separate list. The blog did not go out to those on the subscriber list as scheduled. I know because I'm on that list...for this very reason. I'm not technical, and don't ever wish to be, so I don't know what happened. There is no technical support for this sort of problem, so I am going around in circles trying to do the only things I know to do that have worked in the past, and they are not working. I even tried praying! Now, I just need to let it go.

I always check my email first thing in the morning, to make sure the blog went out, and today, it didn't. That was frustration #1. Frustration #2 came when I went into the bathroom and looked at my hair in the mirror. Yes, I'm still obsessing over the darned hair! I tried straightening it. As I was doing that, I mumbled things like, "I thought shorter hair would be easier, but noooooo....I give up...I just don't know what to do...I wish I could just shave it off....blahblahblah..." I could feel the peace slipping away. The whole morning was a constant struggle not to lose my peace. 

Then I got in the car...that's where God usually speaks to me. That and the shower. I guess it's because I can't go anywhere. I was trying to learn a song for our upcoming Christmas play, called, "I Wish You Jesus," but I was singing "I miss you, Jesus." I started laughing because I kept doing it. Then I realized that yes, I did indeed miss Jesus. I missed whatever He might have wanted to say to me this morning before my heart got all clouded over with myself. And I also missed His presence in my life at the moment. He was there, but I'd shut Him out. We can't be frustrated and angry and in the presence of God at the same time. No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to one and despise the other (Matt 6:24).

When we are fixated on, enamored with or obsessed with something, we devote our time and energies to that. As I let my frustration mount this morning, I allowed myself to be devoted to that frustration. We need to recognize the signs of our egos going astray, those moments of frustration turning into something bigger that becomes our master...because really, frustration mounts when things don't go our way. And that comes back to "me." Only when we recognize it can we turn our backs on it and turn our attentions and our devotions to Jesus...and "despise the other." Where are your devotions today? Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal your master to you today, and to help you turn your back on anything that is fueling your ego. Proclaim as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (Joshua 24:15)!

And gee, I hope you get this!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song(s) of the Day: (Video stops at 1:08, then starts again at 1:22, with someone reciting the scripture on the screen. The song actually ends at 1:08--it's very cute.
No Man Can Serve Two Masters (Hamster Rap)
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus (Nichole Nordeman)


No comments:

Post a Comment