Wednesday, November 27, 2013

How Quickly We Can Turn!

It's officially Christmas music time in the Flaherty-mobile. I had a new CD in this morning, and "O Come Let Us Adore Him" was playing. Now, we know that is a song that you can sing along to and not even pay attention to what you're singing; it's one of those songs that's sort of just ingrained. I was trying to exit the parking lot of Dunkin' Donuts onto a busy four lane Rt. 24, but I was in no hurry; I never am in the morning. I try to give myself enough time to enjoy my commute. Unfortunately, not everyone shares my commuting principles and policies. 


So, there I was, watching the traffic go by and singing, "OH COME LET US ADORE HIM..." Hmmm, there's a break in the traffic coming, but not quite enough of one to get out. Think I'll wait. "OH COME LET US ADORE HIM..."   Should I go now? No, I better wait. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, in my side mirror, I saw the guy behind me creeping closer to my tail...and closer...and closer...I thought...what is he doing? Trying to go through me? No, I realized that he was trying to "bully" me, or push me into going, even though there were cars coming! "OH COME LET US ADORE HIM....HEY BUDDY...DON'T TRY TO PUSH ME!"...CHRI....IST....THE LORD!" Wait a sec, what just happened? 

Oh, you laugh, but don't try to tell me that you've never done that! In a second, I turned! (and I don't mean the car!) In the same breath, in the same verse of the song! Within the song! How quickly we can turn! How quickly we can go from pious and holy to nasty and selfish! In a millisecond! We should never deceive ourselves into thinking that we are holy because as soon as we piously think we are holy, we will fall. Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall (Prov 16:18). We are sinful, but we have been redeemed. We are saints who sin. If I am capable of turning on someone while worshiping my Lord, what else am I capable of? Truly!

Let's go back to the song for a moment. A few things were at work here. 

Number 1 (I can't write #1 anymore, because you all will think I'm writing hashtag 1, which doesn't make any sense---the whole hashtag thing is for another day...)...ANYWAY, back to number 1: Oh, perhaps I'm easily distracted? Ya think? Do I really need to expand on that?

Number 2: I was singing a song that I've known all my life. Even though we may love the "old hymns" or carols, sometimes they lose the appeal they had when we first heard them. Any song is like that. At first, we listen to the words and drink it in. "Wow, that's a great song!" we say. After awhile, we hear it and say, "Oh, I love this song!" and begin to sing it from memory without really thinking of the words. If I was really thinking of the words "Oh come let us adore Him," as I sang them, I wouldn't have turned. If I am singing, "Oh come let us adore him"...am I not suggesting that by adoring Him, I would be worshiping Him, following Him, desiring to be like Him? If so, then the guy behind me wouldn't really bother me.

Number 3: As much as we think we can multi-task, in reality, we cannot devote brain space to several different tasks simultaneously. I read an article about that once. It basically said that you can't think about two different things at the same time. You can talk on the phone and wash dishes, but either your attention will be focused on the conversation or the dishes. Did you ever drive somewhere and get lost in thought and say, "How did I get here?". In the same vein, we cannot sing a song of worship focusing our attention on God, and get angry at the bully in the car behind us at the same time. So, my attention was diverted from the song to the bully. (Actually, my attention was probably never on the song because I am easily distracted and I was singing it from memory!) Try it! Try thinking of two things simultaneously--I mean, devote your thinking to those thoughts...see, you can't do it! It's like looking into someone's eyes. You can't do it with both eyes (Try that too!).

Well, after I confessed my sin to the Lord, I had a good laugh. If I'd been watching myself on a hidden camera, I would have thought that was hysterical! It may seem trivial, but confessing the smallest sin keeps us in humility and makes it easier to confess when the "bigger" ones come along. O Come Let Us Adore Him---Christ the Lord!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day (no, it's NOT "O Come Let Us Adore Him")
Your Name, Christmas Version (Paul Baloche)

No comments:

Post a Comment