Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Lifter of Our Countenance

He will lift your head with His Hand
  and your countenance with His Joy!

For those of you who know your bible, you may be scratching your head and thinking, "I don't know that verse." That's because, as far as I know, it's not a bible verse. It popped into my head yesterday morning the moment I woke up. I believe the Holy Spirit was whispering this in my ear, or my brain. What a sweet and wonderful way to wake up!

At first, I thought, well, it's not like I'm depressed or anything, God. Why did you tell me this? I pondered on the verse for a few hours, researched it, and came back to the same thing...why did You tell me this?


To which He replied, "Why not? Can't I just whisper to you in the morning? Do I have to have a reason?" It made me think of newlyweds-being awakened by a sweet kiss or endearing whisper of "I love you." Wouldn't that put a smile on your face?

I don't know if you're anything like me, but I have a tendency to over-analyze things. (The analytical side of me plays havoc with my creativity!) Sometimes, things just are. Like this love note. Why not tell me that He lifts my head with His Hand? On a dark and rainy Friday morning at 5:45 am, I need some divine intervention to get me up and out of bed! The winter is coming, a dark and cold time of year that tends to grasp me by its tendrils and pull me in. Maybe God just wanted me to know that regardless of what it's doing outside, His joy is always inside me, and that alone can lift my countenance. David, when fleeing from his son, Absalom, cried out to God in what I believe was fear, but also trust: You O Lord are a shield about me; my glory and the lifter of my head...(Psalm 3:3). Then he went to sleep! He felt so secure in the Lord that he just went to sleep! Maybe, instead of counting sheep (my guess is he was sick of sheep!) he decided to say instead, This day is holy to [my] Lord...the joy of the Lord is [my] strength (Neh 8:10).

Countenance is defined as a person's face or facial expression. The word comes from the French word meaning to contain and the Latin, to hold. I have a hard time hiding my countenance. Everything I feel usually shows on my face. For some reason, when I think, I often look angry. People are always asking me, "What's wrong?" If I continually hold the joy of the Lord in me, I will not be able to contain myself! I want people to ask me, "What's right?"


If the Holy Spirit speaks to you in a verse like this, don't discount it. Of course, you'll want to make sure it lines up with scripture, but don't try to over-analyze it. Accept the kiss, thank Him for loving you, and ask how you can apply it to your life today. Go out in joy and be led forth in peace (Is 55:12).

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day (I never heard this song before and found it after I wrote this--pretty awesome confirmation, esp. near the end of the song)
God Will Lift Up Your Head (Jars of Clay)

No comments:

Post a Comment