Friday, November 1, 2013

Think First!

Way back in March (it's now November---that's 8 months ago), I made the mistake of inquiring about a Home Equity Line of Credit. I don't even know what my purpose in this was, because I am dead set against HELOCs. You never actually pay it off-you just pay the interest each month. So, why I thought this was a good idea, I don't know. I had a reason but I can't recall what that reason was. I quickly dismissed the idea, but not before I stupidly gave out my information, including my phone number. Worse, the website I stupidly supplied all my information to was a sort of mass mailing..apparently my information went to all sorts of financial institutions. I was inundated with phone calls...for months! It got to the point where I had to block certain numbers on my cell phone and change my voicemail message to a sort of nasty, stop calling me if you're from a bank message.

Today, I got another call from someone "following up" on a loan I had inquired about. First, why are you calling me 8 months later? Second...why are you people still calling me???

In case you haven't figured it out, I tend to be impulsive. I'm getting a lot better, but over the years, that trait has gotten me into trouble. Sometimes it was funny; sometimes it was easy to extricate myself, but sometimes, the repercussions were deeper, longer, more difficult; the lessons longer and harder. Our actions have a way of catching up with us and we have to live with the consequences.

My curiosity with the HELOC inquiry wasn't a sin. It wasn't even really a weakness. But I didn't think first. If I had taken a few moments to think ahead to the consequences of my action, I would have saved myself months of aggravating and annoying phone calls. I would not be suffering the trickle effect---the trickling down of the leftover dregs of financial desperadoes trying to sell me a loan I never really wanted. If we think before we act, we may just avoid a lot of headaches, hassles, or consequences. He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe (Prov 28:26). Ah, to walk in the way of Wisdom. Trusting in ourselves is foolish-and leads to more foolishness, or folly, as the bible sometimes calls it. If we only take a few moments and simply ask God, "Is this wise?" we will be kept safe. When we act impulsively, we are being foolish. Take it from a pro: walk in wisdom. Save yourself the trouble of extricating yourself months later.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
My Jesus I Love Thee (Selah)


No comments:

Post a Comment