Thursday, November 7, 2013

Trust Your Knower

I was telling a friend the other night about a situation that I'd had some doubts about. I had asked someone what they thought about the situation and she had given me her opinion. "But," she'd added, "why don't you run it by So and so?" I thought that was a good idea, so I did and she gave me the same advice. Both people had told me what I already knew in my spirit. My friend just looked at me and said, "Mary, why did you go through all that when you already had your answer?"

She had a very good point. Why indeed? Some people seem to be born with that confidence--the peace and confidence of knowing that they know in their spirit. Not me. I had to learn it, because for much of my life I didn't have enough confidence in my own decision making. I doubted and second-guessed most of what I said and did. I guess I could blame my childhood and my parents, but come on, I'm on the other side of 50 now. That's a lame argument at this age and a sorry excuse. Not seeking others' opinions and trusting your own "knower" is a sign of maturity.



Why do we ask everyone else what they think we should do when they don't even know what they're supposed to do? Ever think of that? What makes us think that everyone but us has all the answers? Those people we run to have their own situations and issues that they're wrestling with, and they may be running to other people for their answers! With all that running around, it could come full circle and someone might come running to you for the same advice you asked someone else about! The problem with asking other people for advice is that you get their opinion. You know that saying: "Opinions are like...ahem...noses (not the anatomy I was always quoted, but it will do here)...everyone has one...and they all smell."

If we have asked the Holy Spirit for discernment, for wisdom, He will give it to us. Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks, finds and to him who knocks, the door will be opened (Matt 7:1-8). We tend to think of asking for "things" when we hear this verse, but I believe that Jesus was referring to advice too. Ask Him what to do and He will tell you.

God is not sitting in Heaven with 5000 phone lines twisted around the throne, saying, "I'm sorry, Mary, I must have gotten my wires crossed. Right now, I just don't know what to tell you. I just don't have the answer...and I'm kind of busy with all these other requests. Why don't you ask Alice and Ellen and Harriet and Tom and Joe what they think, come back to me with the consensus and then we'll revisit this."

No, God is a good God. He says, Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know (Jer 33:3). Memorize that--it's God's phone number. Joyce Meyer has a saying, "Do you run to the phone or run to the throne?" I wonder if sometimes we run to the phone because we want a little human response of pity before we get our answer....hmmm, just sayin'...

So here's the Kingdom way of "running to the phone:"
1. Ask:  Pick up the phone, dial Jer 33:3..."Hi, God? I was wondering...oh, I shouldn't wonder? Oh, right..I should know...ok, God, I...uh... know that you are God and all, so here's my situation...oh, you already know it? That's right, You're God...so, what should I do?"
2. Listen:  My tendency would be this: "So God, what should I do? Here's what I think and what Alice and Harriet and..." But if I really want to know, I'll let God interrupt..."oh...sorry, You want to tell me? I should just listen? Okay, I'll try to keep quiet while You speak."
3. Receive: You might not like what He says, but it also might be exactly what you already "knew" in your spirit. "I guess I kind of already knew that because Your Spirit spoke to my spirit, but thanks, God. I just needed reassurance." 
4. Do: Depending on His response, His answer, and what you know in your spirit, you may have to do something, or you may be instructed to do nothing. The important thing is to "do" whatever it was that He told you, regardless of...especially if everyone else tells you differently. 

I sound like I really know how to give advice, don't I? That's because I asked a lot of people what they thought before I wrote this. 



Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment