Saturday, November 16, 2013

Where's the Mute Button For My Mouth?

I have a very short fuse. Those who know me will probably read that statement and say, "This is a revelation? I could have told her that a long time ago!" No, it's no revelation. It's a confession. And stop laughing.

This morning I spilled a whole bottle of pills all over the floor. Over 200 little white pills spread all over the tile floor, which also housed dog hair and dirt. I quickly got Normal Dog outside while Psycho Dog, who apparently takes over my side of the bed every morning once I'm gone, was confined to the bedroom. Instead of just cleaning up the mess, I felt obligated to add sound effects...mostly terms of endearment directed toward myself...names like idiot, jerk and others, which cannot be repeated here on this holy blog.

It wasn't until I got in the car and was now calmly driving to work that I realized just how much I overreacted and how much aggravation I could have saved myself if I had simply muted my mouth, like I mute the sound effects on my computer games. Those game sound effects are annoying, and so is the sound of my own voice belittling myself. 

I get so angry at myself for getting so angry so quickly at something so trivial. Doesn't help the situation. Then I feel guilty for getting angry at myself. The good news is that the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning (Lam 3:22-23). For a pre-menopausal woman with an already short fuse, like myself, I thank God that those mercies are new every moment!

The next time, If I find it is impossible to mute the sound effects, perhaps I can diffuse the situation by recalling that we are now living in a "tolerant" society. Terms like idiot are no longer acceptable. I should try calling myself a "mentally-challenged, intellectually-disabled, developmentally-delayed person!" It just doesn't have the same effect!


But seriously, when we mess up, God doesn't think of us as idiots, jerks, or dummies (or worse). We are the ones who choose our mental flogging. How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! (I John 3:1). His unconditional love and great mercy are lavished on us, and that love covers all our sin. If Jesus is our Savior, we need only confess that sin and move on! Oh, it's a joy to be ever-growing...

Blessings Along the Way,
Mary

Song of the Day:
How Great the Love (The Village Church)

No comments:

Post a Comment