Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Hanging Blinds for God

I'm not real handy. Well, I am kind of. But I loathe "handyman" work. I just don't have the patience. Since Brian has an inordinate amount of patience (anyone who knowingly goes into a marriage with me has to!), he is the designated driver of all things handy around the house. 

However, it's a whole different story once I get to work. Today I had to hang blinds. Last I looked, hanging blinds was not in my job description...oh, that's because there is no job description. Hmmm, one should watch out for those "any other projects, as determined by the supervisor" type job descriptions, or jobs without one. Then again, when you work for family, job descriptions do not apply. I really did not want to do this, and I grumbled to myself about that. Then I told myself, "Well, you better change your mind, because you don't have a choice. It's today's project." (Does anyone else talk to yourself as if you're another person?)

I hung 4 blinds earlier this year, without too much incident and somehow, a lot more patience. This time was different. For some reason, I had a heck of a time getting this one screw in (I start the hole with a screw, then put the brackets up). I was ready to throw the drill across the room. The only reason I didn't was because the drill wasn't mine. Nor were the walls in the office. I ended up stripping the screw, so now it wouldn't go in or come out. Then I burned my finger on the heat of the screw, feeling the need to touch it after it wouldn't move (did I think I was stronger than the drill, able to just turn it?). All the screws kept falling on the floor, the chair tipped over as I got off, and the blinds hit the fluorescent light bulbs propped up against the wall in the corner, but luckily did not break them (I did not throw the blinds! Really, they fell of the chair). Did I mention I'm a bit of a klutz?

I ended up propping the one side of the blinds up on the non-budging screw. As long as no one pulls the blinds up or down they should be fine. 

How often do we grumble and complain about the tasks God gives us? When we ask God to "use" us, do we really know what we're asking? We usually want the easy, the glorious, the things that bring us joy...you know, to do what our gifts are. But sometimes God wants us to hang blinds. Do something we'd rather not. Something that is clearly not in our holy job description. Work in the nursery during the big event. Set up or clean up behind the scenes. Spend time with someone you really would prefer not to hang out with, thinking of all the other things you could be doing with your time. Visit the sick or elderly. Make a meal. Go to the homeless shelter or food pantry and try to understand the depth of homelessness or drug abuse. Pray for the person who was asked to do the thing you wanted to do.


Will we go when we're called? And how will we handle the task? Will we leave the babies in the nursery in dirty diapers when the parents come to pick them up, or will we rock them in our arms, marveling at the innocence, dependency and fragility of babies? Will we leave the coffee pot dirty, and tables crusted over with old cake, or will we leave the area cleaner than when we walked in? Will we spend that hour with the needy person and go on our way thinking we did a good deed, or will we clear our calendar for the afternoon and truly listen and care about what this person is going through?

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive and inheritance (Col 3:23). Our inheritance is not earthly praise; it is a reward that we will receive when we get to heaven, and then give back to Him! Our inheritance is Jesus Christ. Our reward can be on this earth-the reward of a job well done. The reward of knowing that we served our Lord, without any recognition. It's a feeling we get deep inside. A warmth. A desire to do it again, even though it makes no sense, because it's "not our gift."

I'm tempted to go back and try to fix that blind, but I did try. The screw is stripped. It needs a man to fix it. And besides, it's hanging quite nicely now. However, I will forever have the picture of the bracket-less blind hanging on a stripped screw to remind me each time I don't necessarily want to do what God asks me to do. 

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day:
Servant Song (unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment