Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I Need Directions!

My husband has an annoying habit. Only one. When I am driving somewhere and he holds the directions, he tells me only what I need to know at the moment, or at least, what he thinks I need to know. Like...Turn here!" 

I find that annoying and frustrating because I like to know several steps ahead. Like, "Ok, you'll turn left at this light up here, so get in the left lane. After that, you'll go two blocks to Maple Street, then turn right at Oak Street."  Too much and I get confused. There's a fine line.

I did something to a friend the other night that I felt so bad about. I was giving a "dramatic reading" or a "narration" of a book to the ladies at my church, and I'd asked a friend to turn the lights out at the end, so that I could slip off the stage. Then she would turn them back on and the woman in charge would come back up and say her last little bit. Unfortunately, I neglected to give this person the entire script. I only gave her the last page, and didn't tell her how long the book was. The whole presentation took about 45 minutes. I saw her jump up after 5 minutes and go to the lights, looking at her little one page script. I could see her in the back the whole 45 minutes referring to her one page script, wondering when the time would come to turn off the lights. I wanted to interrupt the reading so that I could tell her to sit down and relax for awhile! I felt so bad, but she was very forgiving.


We don't always stop to think if people need the whole script or just the last page. Do they need directions "a few steps ahead" or is it on a "need-to-know" basis? We may think we are giving someone enough information, but that person may need more. If left unspoken and unresolved, the situation can become one that causes hurt feelings, not to mention messing up logistics!

Aren't you glad that God doesn't work that way? He keeps some things hidden from us, like our future because He knows what's best for us. He may reveal to us prophetically, or through prayer what is to come, but not reveal specific details. We need to put our trust and faith in Him as He tells us, "Turn here!" and be satisfied with not knowing the next few steps ahead.

But some things are revealed in their entirety, like His Guide Book, the Bible. It's all there for us to read. His promises are all there. And what He promises, He delivers.

He promises never to leave us, or desert us in our time of need (Joshua 1:5). He promises to give us strength and protection (2 Thess 3:3). He promises not to harm us, but to proper us and give us a hope and a future (Jer 29:11). He promises peace to us (Ps 85:8). He promises to be with us in trouble and to answer us when we call to him (Psalm 91:15). He promises to forgive us if we confess our sins to him (1 John 1:9). His whole book is a promise to us!


Isn't it nice to know in an age of uncertainty, that God always knows what He is doing, why He is doing it, and when He will reveal it to us? Relax and put your trust in Him Who Knows.

Blessings Along the Way,
Mary

Song of the Day 
Yes and Amen! (Hillsongs)

No comments:

Post a Comment