Friday, January 3, 2014

A Capital Idea

January 1 must have been the day for new beginnings because everywhere I turned, I was reading the verse, Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing (Isaiah 43:18-19). I must have seen this verse at least 5 times on Facebook. I saw it in a devotional. And other places, which I just can't recall.

I liked seeing this instead of reading about resolutions. In a way, this is God's resolution. He was telling me (an apparently many others!) that 2014 was going to be a year of something new. New year, new adventures. Makes sense.

2013 was a rough year for many. I know that some of you who read this blog lost loved ones this year, and went through difficult times yourself. Here's hoping and praying that 2014 will be a happier year for you. It's easy, especially during the blah months of January and February, to fall into sadness and depression. To feel sorry for ourselves. Because there is not much to do, we sit inside and think. And when we think aimlessly, our minds often tend to drift off into the bad, not the good. We become more sad, lonely and despondent.

Do not despair! The Lord is doing something new! Forget the former things! I'm not saying to forget our loved ones who have passed away. Never do that! But to dwell on the sadness only adds to the sadness. Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland (Isaiah 43:19).

Sometimes, we need to make a conscious effort to turn away from the sadness, the despair, that which wants to drag us down, and look for the new thing springing up out of that despair. It's not always evident. Sometimes, we have to "perceive" it; that is, we need to come to realize, understand, recognize, grasp, become aware of, or appreciate it. Maybe it's something right in front of or all around us. Maybe it's something hidden that we didn't quite realize or appreciate. 

It doesn't have to be big. Too often, we hear this verse and think, "Oh boy! God's gonna do something new this year! He's got big plans for me. I just know it. I can feel it in my spirit." Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe your big is different from God's big. You might be thinking Ministry (with a capital "M") and God might be thinking forgiveness and restoration, contentment and peace, relationships: ministry with a "small m"). Your capital "M" and His capital "M" could be very different. Will you be happy with whatever God's "new thing" is? Will you recognize it when it comes? Will you open your heart and your spirit today to receive that "new thing"? He is, right now, making a way in the wilderness of your heart, the wasteland of your soul...do you not perceive it?


Blessings Along the Way,
Mary

Nu Thang (DC Talk)

No comments:

Post a Comment