Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Holy Muzzle

I read something yesterday morning about how your thoughts and your words are so closely connected, they are like bone and marrow; so close, it's hard to divide them. I was reading this in bed, soon after I awoke. I was actually feeling kind of down, with no real explanation. I just woke up that way. It made me think. I could speak forth negative thoughts and spiral further down, or I could speak forth something positive and perhaps my thoughts would follow. So, as I got out of bed and began my day, I decided to pay attention to the words I spoke.

Don't you know that the first thing out of my mouth was something that comes out all the time without my thinking about it---"MOVE, you stupid dog!" (paraphrased. It was a bit worse than stupid...but seriously, why are dogs always everywhere you need to be?). Immediately, I was remorseful. That was the first thing out of my mouth? I wondered how disappointed God must be in me. I apologized, but realized that His mercies are new every morning...every moment...and that I would get a do-over. God loves me, and He knows me oh so well. He knew what I was going to say before I even said it. You know what I'm going to say before I even say it Lord (Ps 139:4). 

If God knows what I'm going to say before I say it, then doesn't it make sense for me to ask Him to stop me from speaking forth anything that is negative? Psycho Dog needs to have a muzzle when she is in situations where we don't trust her not to bite. Perhaps I need a holy muzzle? I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked."(Ps 39:1).

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to become engaged in gossip, slander or otherwise unproductive and hurtful talk when others are doing it? You say to yourself, "I'm not going to say anything. This isn't right." And before you know it, you're contributing. 

As I researched the word, "tongue" in the bible, I kept seeing the adjectives, "lying" and "deceitful."  How true! We think one thing, yet quite another comes out! Our tongue deceives our brain! Then, there are the times when we might feel the need to embellish just a little, in order to impress someone. Our tongue lies! And all the while, we're thinking, "Why am I saying this? It's not true!"

Ah, yes, a holy muzzle might just be in order. When Foxy is muzzled, she is so much more calm and docile; very pleasant to be around. And I feel more relaxed, knowing that no one can get hurt. Perhaps a holy muzzle could calm me down, train my tongue not to lie and deceive. I would feel more relaxed, knowing that my tongue can't be the cause of hurt when I've got my holy muzzle on. Oh, Lord, before I speak, you know what I'm going to say. Please train me with Your Holy Muzzle so that some day, I will be able to speak without it. As long as I have life within me, the breath of God in my nostrils, my lips will not say anything wicked, and my tongue will not utter lies (Job 27:3-4).


Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones (Prov 16:24).
Speak forth something positive to someone today. If you can't, ask God to muzzle your mouth.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
May the Words of My Mouth/Psalm 19 (Vineyard)

No comments:

Post a Comment