Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Help Yourself!

There used to be a game on the local radio station's morning show called, "Bible or Not?" The caller would be given something like six phrases, sayings, or verses, and would have to decide if they were from the bible or not. 

How about this one? 
The Lord helps those who help themselves.
Bible or not?

You're right! It's from the book of Hezekiah! Where is that book, you ask? Oh, that's right, it doesn't exist. Neither does that scripture. Contrary to popular belief, it is not from the bible, nor is it even scriptural. In fact, the bible tells us the opposite. He who trusts in himself is a fool (Prov 28:26). And Jeremiah 17:5 tells us, This is what the LORD says: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD."  (Ref: www.acts17-11.com).

Friends, I don't know about you, but I desperately need the Lord. He longs for us to long for Him. He desires for us to cry out to him for help. He doesn't want us turning away from him in our hour of need, only to feebly attempt to handle our problem on our own. He wants us to turn to Him. He wants us to ask Him for help. He wants us to bring it to Him and show our weakness, because when we are weak, and we come to Him, we are made strong by His grace. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Cor 12:9-10).

I'm really not sure where that saying came from. It has good intentions. I suppose it means that God will help you if you show initiative, rather than sitting back and doing nothing. Sitting at home wishing you had a job won't get you one. But when you call on the name of God and ask Him to guide you, help you and be with you during your difficult time, He will. In that sense, I suppose, "God helps those who help themselves." However, we need to be careful not to shut God out in our time of need, thinking we can do it on our own. Need Him today. Let Him help you.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day (Very moving: He sings the entire song on his knees; it was filmed during World Youth Day, a Catholic youth event, in Argentina in 2013).
I Need You (Matt Maher)




No comments:

Post a Comment