Friday, January 17, 2014

Jump-Part II

Since I deemed this week's theme to be "jump", I want to challenge you today. 

What are you afraid of? What's holding you back from pursuing something you desperately desire to do? Look at these pictures of people jumping. 


There is something exhilarating, and yet scary about jumping. The feelings right before you jump are mostly fear and anxiety. But the adrenaline rush comes and you know you have to do this. You're on the edge of the precipice. You just can't turn back now. You've come too far! You can't and won't give up. Because you know that if you do, you'll be right back on the edge of the precipice again tomorrow feeling the same anxiety and fear all over again, but now you'll also feel a hesitance and a feeling of failure. You didn't do it before. Why? Maybe you shouldn't do it now. Each time you don't jump, it becomes harder the next time.


I can still remember the first time I jumped off the high dive at the local pool. I watched others for weeks. It seemed scary, but fun! And every single person came up. Nobody drowned or got otherwise hurt. So I finally climbed up those steps. Straight up, like a ladder. I can still remember the feeling of my heart pumping madly, as if it would burst right through my bathing suit. Walking very slowly toward the part of the board where the handrails end. After that, I was on my own. Nothing to hold on to. I felt like I was on top of the world up there! I could see the playground and the main road and the ball fields. And the pool. The pool was sooooo far away! 

I can't remember how long I took. I'm sure there were impatient people behind me. But I remember that feeling when I stepped off that board. The fear and anxiety quickly turned into exhilaration and wonder. I was flying! There was no turning back now! And then I crashed into the water. It hurt a little. And I was plunged farther into the water than I thought I would be. I didn't know I'd go that far down! I had to come up quickly to catch my breath!Then, when I could breathe again, I thought, "I did it! I really did it!" And I couldn't wait to do it again!

It's amazing how quickly our feelings change after we jump. Those seconds when we are free-falling, when our feet have just left the safety of something firm and we're plunging into the unknown---there is no way to adequately describe what that feels like. It's that first step, the step that takes you into the unknown that is so difficult. But it's only one step.

So, what's holding you back from jumping off that precipice, that cliff, that diving board into the unknown? Take a deep breath and take a leap. I guarantee, you'll not only be glad you did, but you'll probably want to do it again. Push past the fear and anxiety and look forward to the exhilaration and the freedom! 

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Video of the Day--I'm not suggesting any of us shoot this high, but if you're so inclined, go for it!
Top 10 Biggest & Best Jumps 
(Note: as a reference, on #1, the last clip, 31 km=just over 19 miles and 1000 km/hr=621mph)

No comments:

Post a Comment