Thursday, January 16, 2014

Jump!

I can't believe I'm even sharing this publicly, but here goes. And no, it's not some deep, dark secret. I'm not that stupid. It's a story of...well, just how stupid I really am!

You may remember a few months ago (or you may not) I had this thought that I needed a new car all because my cd player didn't work, and then I realized that all I needed was a new CD player. Well, I got one for Christmas and had it installed a few weeks ago. It's really cool. It's got a built-in bluetooth, so not only can I talk on the phone hands-free (through my radio!), I can play mp3 music from my phone.

I was driving to work the other morning, listening to such music, and noticed this strange thing on my dashboard that was never there before. It looked like a small microphone! Okay, here's the stupid part. My immediate thought was, "Oh my gosh, who put that there? That wasn't there yesterday! Someone's spying on me! Is it a microphone or a mini camera? My car has been bugged!" It's okay, you can laugh. I can't hear you anyway. When I realized what it actually was, I laughed. I'm not really sure exactly what it is, but it's connected to the new cd player/radio. Most likely something to pick up the bluetooth waves or whatever they're called. 

Honestly...WHY would anyone bug my car? And what unprofessional idiot would put a microphone right on the dash, where it is clearly...ok, maybe not so clearly...visible? How did I not see that weeks ago? And when did I get so paranoid? Next thing, I'll be imagining drones hovering outside my window to make sure I'm actually working and not writing blogs. My life is not a movie or a spy novel. These things don't happen in real life.

The other day, I wrote about forgiveness...a misunderstanding in the way something was taken. Yesterday I mentioned thinking before you speak. Today's lesson I suppose is to think before you think? There is a common theme here. Jumping. Jumping to a conclusion.  

The word jump, in the noun form, is defined as "a sudden, involuntary movement caused by shock or surprise." Getting an email that you feel is directed at you instead of a group of people as a whole could cause shock or surprise (the first act I needed to be forgiven for, because it was partly directed at her). Taking something personally when it was never intended to be could cause shock or surprise. Reading something that is incorrectly spelled and thinking it means something other than what was intended could cause shock and surprise. Hearing stupid words spill out of your mouth before you have a chance to stop them could cause shock or surprise. And certainly, discovering a hidden, or not so hidden microphone/camera could cause shock or surprise. Our brains "jump"---involuntarily and suddenly move in a certain direction before we can think clearly.

How many misunderstandings could be avoided by thinking things through or asking for clarification? By not jumping to conclusions? If you're not sure of something, before you jump to any conclusions, why not take a moment to ask the person for clarification? Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own (Matthew 6:34). Isn't that the truth! Why add to it by creating misunderstandings? Think before you think!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day (for you old-school Rockers)--check out Eddie's hair--I had the same hairsyle in the 80s! 
Jump (Van Halen)

No comments:

Post a Comment