Friday, January 10, 2014

Know What?

One of the great things about being on the "other side of 50," as I like to call myself, is that I can admit that I don't know everything. 20 years ago, I thought I knew a lot. 10 years before that, I knew it all. 10 years before that, I didn't know anything, but I was at an age of dawning, learning, wondering, and soaking it all up. It was sort of an age of sunrises of insights. Now, I'm at an age of sunsets. My insights are those I've learned from experience. I'm not too interested in being "awakened" because I'd rather nap.

Oh, I still love to learn; just not about everything. And certainly not about new words that have sexual connotations, like twerking. 

It's rather refreshing not to have to know everything. Being an arrogant know-it-all requires a lot of extra time in an already busy life. You need to be involved in a lot of things in order to say that you know about it. You don't necessarily have to research it or understand it; you only need to be vocal enough to be heard above the rest of the world. You're wrong. I'm right.

I am at an age now where I really don't care who is wrong and who is right. When I was younger, I had a hard time letting it go when I knew that I was right. I had to be right about being right! Now, it's just not worth the time to argue. And I think of my borderline high blood pressure going up in order to prove a point, and it's just not worth it. Let that person think they are right. Maybe he or she is. I've been known to be wrong after I swore I was right. I learned years ago to say, "You may be right." It diffuses the situation, lets that person think they are right and lets me think that I am right. It's a win-win statement.

How important is it to you to know it all? To be right? You know, you can be right without being right. Huh? Well, the definition of right is a) true, or correct as a fact and b) morally good, justified or acceptable. Synonyms are: just, fair, virtuous, ethical, honorable, proper, honest. Synonyms to the first definition of right are: precise, accurate, exact and correct.  

So, there are two different kinds of right, right? You can diffuse an argument by being right without being correct or exact. You can be honorable, fair, honest or virtuous. You can be the better person by allowing Mr. Arrogant Know-it-All to be "right."  

The bible talks about the "righteous" many times. Noah was found to be a righteous man, as was Job. People who attain to be as much like God as they humanly can are righteous people. God alone is righteous. He is virtuous, honorable, good, just and fair. The Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to destruction (Psalm 1:6). When we focus on attempting to be righteous in the way that God is righteous, being right will no longer matter. 

Where is your right-meter? How important is it to you to be right? Next time you find yourself in that situation, tell yourself that you can be right (honorable or virtuous) without being right (correct). Then, say, "You may be right." See if that doesn't make you feel better!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day

You May Be Right (Billy Joel)
Righteousness, Peace, Joy (Ron Kenoly)


No comments:

Post a Comment