Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Technical Glitch

Every now and then, my blogs don't get sent out to the email subscribers. I have no idea why. But I didn't want you to miss today's blog...so...here it is again...if you already received it, I apologize for my duplicity!


I was leaving the supermarket the other day and this little girl was sitting in the cart at the end of the check-out while her mother was frantically bagging. She was pointing to some kind of lovely toy that caught her eye, and kept repeating over and over, "I want that. I want that. I waaaaaaaant thaaaaaaat." Her mother just ignored her and kept bagging, most likely thinking, "If I can just get through this before she starts to cry, I'll be okay."

Children are very selfish creatures, are they not? They have to be taught that they cannot have everything they want. If that mother bought that toy for her daughter, it would most likely have been discarded within a few minutes for lack of interest. Mothers have to be mean and say no a lot.

Are we really all that much different as adults? We still want; we've just learned how to hide our desires. We see something lovely, and instead of repeating aloud, we think, "I want that. I want that. I really waaaant that!" The problem is, we still think we can have everything we want. Plastic helps us achieve that goal. We don't have a mean mommy telling us no. We have to practice self-control.

Before we cross that line, we need to do what we learned as children, when coming to a train crossing. Stop. Look. Listen. 
Stop the loop in our heads that's saying, "I want that. I want that." Recognize where it's coming from-the emotional part of us that is trying to fill a void. 

Look at the situation objectively instead of with our feelings. Talk to ourselves. Ask ourselves, "Yes, I want that. But why? Do I really need it? Can I afford to pay for it right now? Or will I be paying for it long after I've lost interest in it?"

Listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit, our guide, our conscience, our Father...our mean mommy, if you will. What is He saying? 

We need to realize that every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows (James 1:17). Did
you notice the word "perfect?" If you remember yesterday's blog, we can say that every good and complete gift comes from Him. When we find ourselves trying to fill a need with things, when we find ourselves wanting, wanting, wanting something, when we feel somehow incomplete, we need only stop, look and listen for the Father of heavenly lights. He alone can fill that void.

Take a look at these lyrics from the song, Every Good Gift (link below):

Mercy, provision, healing, compassion, freedom, redemption...Your light shines, my heart glows.

These good gifts are given to use freely. Daily. They far outweigh any material thing we could possibly want, and they are things that are valuable and will edify us-things that we will never tire of! So the next time you cry, "I want!" ask the Father of Lights to give you one of these. He'll never hold back. He'll never say no.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
Every Good Gift (Clayton Brooks-Oaks Worship)

No comments:

Post a Comment