Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Avoiding the Crazies

Yesterday, we were hit with another snowstorm. I don't know why it snows every time I have some sort of medical thing that I can't cancel, but there I was again, driving in a snowstorm. This time, I made sure to pray first and ask God to send His angels to protect my car. And He did. Thank you, God.

What I don't understand is why people in New Jersey are still in a hurry, even in a snowstorm. I call them crazies. Now, I'm not one of those elderly women who brakes every two minutes and drives 10mph; I know how to drive in the snow. However, the older I get, the more cautious I've gotten. Yet, I kept getting these crazies coming up behind me; apparently, I wasn't going fast enough. I just pulled over and let them pass. If you want to risk your life and drive like a maniac, go right ahead. But don't expect me to speed up and put my own life in danger simply because you don't want to be inconvenienced by my cautious (slow) driving. That would be crazy.

Do you ever find yourself doing that? Speeding up in order to satisfy the crazies? We're so worried about what people think of us, that many times we find ourselves doing something we're not comfortable doing, simply to satisfy someone else who may be inconvenienced by our lack of cooperation. It's called compromise. We all do it to some degree. Or at least if we don't do it now, we have all done it before. 


Adults can succumb to peer pressure too, you know. And as Christians, trying to live in a secular world, we often compromise our values without realizing it until it's too late. Or, sometimes we know exactly what we're doing. We just want to fit in. We don't want to start a debate. We can't deal with explaining. It's just this one time. We want them to like us. We find reasons to excuse our behavior. Then, if you're like me, you beat yourself up afterwards. Why did I give in to that?

When the crazies come up behind us, trying to intimidate us, we simply need to pull over. Pull out the Word of God---maybe not literally. But if we know the Word, if we have hidden it in our heart, we will call to mind a verse that will help us out of a sticky situation. Be careful that you don't make an agreement with the people in the land where you are going,because it will bring you trouble (be a snare/trap)...Ex 34:12. We can personalize this by saying, "I am very, very careful never to compromise with the people around me and I do not follow their evil ways." (From Joyce Meyer's, The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word). The blessing will follow. Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked, or stand in the way that sinners take, or sit in the company of mockers (Ps 1:1).


It is difficult, even as adults, not to give in to peer pressure. It's hard to be the odd man (or woman) out. But I know from experience, from the times I have not given in, stood my ground, and got strange looks and stranger remarks, the reward was far greater than the pressure. I felt my spirit lift; that God was pleased with me. And pleasing God is much more important than pleasing people.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song/Video of the Day
Psalm 1 (Sons of Korah) --words on screen are in foreign language (sorry), but the song is sung in English!

No comments:

Post a Comment