Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Challenge to Change

I've been home recuperating for almost two weeks now. I'm starting to get bored. What, exactly am I supposed to do? I can't vacuum, carry laundry or hang wallpaper. I'm not a TV person. So I read. A lot. The librarian knows me by my first name, without using my card. I feel like Norm, on Cheers. When I walk into the library everyone briefly looks up and says, "Mare!" I average a book a day, or maybe every two days, if I take my time.

I need a project. I figured that since I read so much, and enjoy reading, that perhaps I should try to read the bible all the way through. Some people read the bible through in a year, following a plan. I'm not big on following plans. I always forget or lose interest, and then when I get behind, I just quit. 



I figured that I average about 250 pages a day, with a good book. Since the bible is a little tougher to read than say, a murder mystery, I should give it, oh, maybe 200 pages a day. My bible has 1722 pages; at 200 pages a day...I should be able to get through the entire bible in...wait for it...8.1 days. 

Yeah...no, I don't think so. I highly doubt I can include the 50 pages of 1 Chronicles as part of my speed reading. I have a feeling I'll need a nap somewhere in all that begetting. Could I do it in a month? Maybe. But I think those murder mysteries might call my name in between.

My problem (well, the one I want to focus on) is that I love a challenge, but when it gets too hard, I quit. I give up. I can't seem to compromise somewhere in the middle. It's all or nothing. Then I feel guilty and worthless. Maybe, during this time of physical rest, it's time for a change. Maybe I need to challenge myself and just see how far I get. To set the goal and see what happens. Reading the bible shouldn't be a chore. It shouldn't be an all or nothing thing. It's a privilege, not a duty. 


So, let the games begin. I'm not going to set a specified amount because I don't like specific rules. I think I'll just let the Holy Spirit be my guide, and see what happens. 

Have you challenged yourself, fallen short and given up? Maybe it's time to resurrect that challenge and set a new goal. Let the Holy Spirit be your guide and just see what happens. Let's not beat ourselves up needlessly. The world does a good enough job of that without us adding to it. Run in such a way as to get the prize (1 Cor 9:24)...the crown that will last forever.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment