Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Just the Way You Are

Have you ever wished you could see yourself as everyone else does? Well, I got a glimpse the other day, and it was quite humorous. Be careful what you wish for.


It started in the Dollar Store, when I was looking for something and another shopper started talking to herself out loud. I do that because I think that everyone cares about what it is I can't seem to find. No one cares. She told me that she was looking for something for her daughter. Well, I don't know you, nor can I envision your daughter, so it means nothing. Funny, I always thought people cared about my dilemma. They don't.

Then I went to the supermarket, where I encountered a woman who was struggling with a shopping cart with one of those funky wheels--the ones where you have to practically pick the darn thing up to turn a corner. She was making all these faces and grunting and fuming so that everyone would feel sorry for her. Huh...I do that, and thought that everyone cared. No one cared. She only succeeded in making herself look ridiculous. Huh...who knew?

The day of looking at myself through others concluded with my husband Brian giving me a glimpse of what I look like at home. Brian is normally a very even-tempered guy; I never see him become impatient, especially with his beloved laptop. But the network he was working on (from his job) was running super slow, and what should have taken a short time to accomplish was going to take him several hours. It caused even him to lose his patience. He started banging his computer, grunting, fuming and saying, "Come on!" to his computer. I thought, "Huh, is that what I look like?"

No...I look much, much worse. Being a dramatic person by nature, my antics are 100 times magnified. Humorous? Yes. Humiliating? Yes. Did it change the way I act? ...eh...maybe a little.

Aren't you glad God doesn't see you like everyone else sees you? Or worse, as you see yourself? We have a distorted view of ourselves because we live with us. Sometimes our view is more puffed up than it should be (Don't think of yourselves more highly than you should-Rom 12:3) and other times, we see ourselves much lower than we should, because of lies we've been told and believe, or simply from comparing ourselves too much with over-photo-shopped supermodels. We need a healthy balance.

Psalm 139 is a beautiful description of how God sees us. You have searched me, Lord, and you know me (v1). You are familiar with all my ways (v3). Before a word is on my tongue, you, Lord, know it completely (v4). You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb (v13).I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful. I know that full well (v14).


God knew what He was doing when He made you and me. We are no surprise to Him. He knew that I'd have a big mouth, a rapier wit, and chutzpah. He probably laughed while he was pouring that into me. Who knows, maybe He gets a kick out of watching me get myself out of situations that my big mouth has gotten me into. But there are other times when those things come in handy, like breaking the ice in a tense situation. Or being willing to be a guinea pig and make a fool out of myself in order for everyone else to get the picture. God knew what He was doing when He made us, and He adores us just the way we are!

The last two verses of Psalm 139 are the best. While we have been made uniquely us, and there are certain aspects of our personalities that we cannot change, we should always desire to refine those rough places. May this be the prayer of our hearts today.

Search me, God, and know my heart;  test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (v23-24).

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song/Video of the Day (try to imagine God singing this to you)
I Love You Just the Way You Are (Billy Joel)



No comments:

Post a Comment