Thursday, February 13, 2014

Living Without Our Bully

Because I'm having surgery this week, and will need as little stress as possible to recover, Foxy (aka Psycho Dog) has been temporarily relocated for a week. 

I thought that without Foxy around, Lucy would be more relaxed and happier. I know I would be if I were the "other dog" who always got bullied. Oddly, however, Lucy seemed a bit out of sorts at first, as if she just didn't know what to do with herself. I gave her the coveted bone they usually fight over, which always ends up on top of my dresser to avoid a dogfight, and she just let it drop. She almost seems...sad. In a strange way, I think she misses Foxy. She's not sure how to act or what her place is without the chaos.

Huh?  

We are not that much different. Sometimes I think we thrive on stress, chaos and the need to solve some sort of dilemma. Or maybe we identify with pain or ill health, and when that pain is removed, or our health improves, we don't know who we are anymore. Maybe it goes deeper-an issue that we've struggled with our whole lives, and suddenly we are delivered and free from it.

When we find ourselves suddenly stress-free, we can also find ourselves walking around a little like Lucy. We're used to getting beaten up by life, or by the lies of satan, or simply by the situation that caused the stress. When those things are removed, we're not sure what to do. We're not quite sure how to be happy, how to relax. We don't know how to do life without our "thing." We're oddly out of sorts. We have to make a conscious effort to change our way of living to a more relaxed and happier state. It's work! It's an adjustment. We have adjust our thinking so that our state of being will follow.


Whenever we feel out of sorts like this, it's best to just bring it before the Lord.  Ask Him to take the anxiety of the stress that we no longer need to feel from you. And guess what? He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing...the sorrows...I will remove from you; they are a burden and a reproach to you...at that time, I will gather you...I will bring you home. I will give you honor and praise...when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes, says the Lord (Zeph 3:17-20)

We need to attempt to quiet ourselves before the Lord as He quiets us with His love, and He will restore what was lost, what we cannot seem to find...the peace that has long been missing from our daily living.


I'm sure that after a few days, Lucy will adjust, as will I. I won't be waiting for Foxy to attack Lucy every time someone gets up. And won't that be nice and relaxing for all of us. Yes, it will most likely be just in time for the stress to return...one week from now. For now, I'm enjoying the quiet.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary


Song of the Day
Sing Over Me (Bethany Dillon/Nichole Nordeman)






No comments:

Post a Comment