Friday, March 14, 2014

From Rational to Radical

I've been thinking about this "giving up" thing that Christians do for Lent. The majority of people I've known over the years have usually given up chocolate, bad language or booze. One time I went out with some friends and one of my friends ordered wine. I said, "I thought you gave up alcohol for Lent." She looked at me, aghast, and said, "Oh I could never give up alcohol altogether. I gave up hard liquor." Oh...

We tend to give up "things" that we may struggle with on a daily basis, or just from time to time. I guess it depends on how much we want to suffer. 

But how about this...why not give up...ourselves? Give up our attitudes...that lead to the bad language. Give up our desires...that lead to indulgence of alcohol or sugar. Give up our attempts to be holy...good...right. 


Or how about this...give up what makes sense. Give up our carnal thinking...give up our rational thinking. Give up and give in to Jesus.

Like Peter, getting out of the boat. He gave up his rational thinking. His eyes were so focused on the Lord...until he "saw the wind." Isn't that interesting? He was walking on the water until he saw the wind...the wind is something you cannot see. How is it that something Peter could not see could cause him to disengage and lose faith? Perhaps he didn't so much see the wind but felt its effects. The wind caused the turbulence in the sea around him, around where he was walking. Maybe it was the turbulence that he saw that caused him to falter, to look down, to lose faith.

When we see the turbulence around us, we often look down, lose faith and falter. We become afraid of something we cannot necessarily see; rather, we feel it. We feel its effects and we stop thinking with the mind of Christ, and resort to our earthly thinking.

If you're like me, and don't necessarily "give up" something for Lent, why not give up you this season? Give up your rational thinking and start doing some radical thinking. Throw your hands up and say, "I give up, Jesus!" 

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
White Flag (Chris Tomlin)

No comments:

Post a Comment