Friday, March 28, 2014

Six Degrees of Separation

The theory of "Six Degrees of Separation" is such that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away from being introduced to anyone in the world. So, theoretically, if I want to meet George Clooney, I should be able to find a few "friends of friends" in order to meet him. I haven't found those people yet. When I do, I'll be sure to let you know, so that now you too will be able to meet him. I'm willing to share.

My daughter, Amy went to school with a young man who has this really great song out. The name of his band is Oh Honey, and the song is "Be Okay." It's positive and upbeat. Amy played the song for the little girls she nannies for, and when she told the girls that she knew the guy singing, they couldn't wait to tell their friends. (Plug: the 100th episode, or 13th episode of Season 5, of Glee featured "Be Okay"...sung by Rachel and Santana). Those friends are now three degrees away from knowing Mitch of Oh Honey.

I'm so glad that we can know God through only one degree of separation-His Son Jesus. And I don't even really like that word, "separation," because we are no longer separated from Him; Jesus' death on the cross reconciled us to the Father. 

But this theory also makes me think of missionaries, who bring the good news to those in the world who have never heard of Jesus, or even heard of God. They worship a god, but they do not know the One True God. They hear from a friend that a friend has a friend...that friend tells them about Jesus. That's how the gospel is spread. Eventually, we will close the gap from six degrees to one, and Jesus will return. Oh glorious day!

Oh, and if you know anyone who has a friend who knows someone who knows George Clooney...can I have their number?

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary



Song of the Day
Be Okay (Oh Honey)
Glee's 100th episode information

No comments:

Post a Comment