Monday, March 10, 2014

The Power to Choose

We are having serious canine issues lately, to the point where we need to remove Psycho Dog from our home. It's been a very tense few weeks between trying to find some place for her and the things that are happening in our home that are affecting everyone.The most recent canine issue, early the other morning, led to a meltdown---mine. It put me in a horrendous mood and it was only 6:30am. 

I brought my bad mood back to bed, where it affected my husband, so I removed myself and my bad mood from the bedroom into the living room where I could wallow in my self-pity without feeling guilty for disrupting Brian's sleep. I cried out to God (quietly, so as not to further disrupt Brian's sleep...because I'm such a thoughtful wife..ahem, yeah, right...)...anyway, I quietly cried out to God, "I just can't take this anymore. I don't know what to do." 

At the moment, I felt helpless. My situation felt hopeless. 


Then I realized that all of this was setting the tone for my day...and Brian's. I realized that I would be in a bad mood and feel sorry for myself all day...over a dog!

Was I really going to let a dog determine my mood? Was I really going to cry out to God, yet ignore his gift of peace, readily available to me? Was I really going to give this dog the power to set the tone for the day? Power is exactly what I've let this dog have for the last 7 years, even though I would be the first to say that I'm in charge. Still, I may be in charge, but there's always a power struggle with this dog to the point of causing intense anxiety in the other dog. 

It's amazing what we let have power over us. A dog. A mood. A boss. A situation. A family member. Food. Anger. Unforgiveness. The list could go on and on. We let these things, or people determine our mood because we let them have power over us. 

Some things are easier than others to gain control over. But ultimately, we need to remember that God is in control. He has the power to change our situation, but we often need to do our part. We can't just sit back and do nothing; we have to be proactive to bring change. But God can give us the power to make those changes. Sometimes it just means a determined change of attitude; sometimes it means removing yourself from the situation to get a better perspective. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.

I love Joyce Meyer's saying, "You can be pitiful or you can be powerful, but you can't be both." Which one will you choose today? You may have started out pitiful, but you can easily turn pitiful into powerful with a simple shift in attitude. It's a choice. We have been given the power to choose.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary



Song of the Day
More Love, More Power (Michael W. Smith)


No comments:

Post a Comment