Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Do-Over

So...how did you do yesterday? If you're anything like me, you have no idea what I'm talking about because you've already forgotten what my blog was about yesterday. I do it all the time.

I'm talking about the challenge I put out there to join me in looking outward instead of inward...to dwell on the other person instead of ourselves. 

Well, I'm ashamed to say that I lasted until 7:00am. That's not funny! It's the sad truth. The woman where I get my coffee in the morning asked me how I was and I told her I was tired and I had been off work for many weeks and I'm not used to getting up so early because I got to sleep in when I wasn't working blahblahblah...it was all about me! I never even asked her how she was!


I was reminded various times throughout the day...pretty much every time the conversation turned back around to me...which was often. 

The good news is that I get a do-over! Remember those from when you were little? But it only counted if the other person was a good sport too. Luckily...or, well...thankfully...God gives us a do-over every day. It's called grace. He's a good sport. He is merciful and actually wants us to do well, so He lets us try it again and again.

It's not like tests in school where if you fail, you just fail. And you feel stupid. And if you fail enough times, you stay back a grade. In God's kingdom, if we fail, we just get to keep taking the test over and over and over until we get it right. We need not feel ashamed. We need only listen to the Teacher and try it again. And the great part is that He gives us the answers! We get a Holy Cheat Sheet-His Word. 

I love do-overs. I'm really going to try this thing-this concerted effort to dwell more outward. I really want to care about people. I really want to learn to listen and stop trying to "one-up" them with my own stories that they probably don't really care to hear. Care to join me today?

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment