Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I, I, I...Me, me, me!

Some of my friends and I have a running joke when we realize that we've talked too long about ourselves. We say, "Enough about me. How do you like my dress?"

I've been eavesdropping lately to hear how much people talk about themselves. I hear the word, "I" begin a lot of sentences. I have a bad habit that when someone tells me something, I tend to share a similar story of my own, instead of actually listening and caring about theirs; allowing them to have the moment. 

We really are narcissists. One definition I found of narcissism is inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love, vanity. I suppose it's because we are with ourselves so much. Look at social media. Isn't it basically all about me? This blog (as much as I know you love it) is all about me. It's my blog, about my lessons that I've learned that I choose to share with you.

Narcissism is not exclusive to those who think very highly of themselves. People with low-self esteem, those who dwell on feelings of inadequacy, inferiority and insecurity are just as much of a narcissist as the one with the over-inflated ego. Poor-me is as self-absorbed as Look-at-me. We may say, "I hate myself." That's really a statement made out of self-love (in a warped sort of way). To hate oneself, one has to be so wrapped up in oneself, which really is a form of self-love.

I've been guilty of narcissism more often than I'd like to admit. (That sentence is actually a very narcissistic statement). I've dealt with those three "in" words which point inward (play on words is intentional)...insecurity, inadequacy and inferiority...for years. I thought I had them conquered several years ago when I really "got" how much Jesus loves me and dealt with my past, but whenever I encounter something new, I fall right back into those inward "in" words. The devil loves to keep us there so that we cannot be powerful witnesses for God---looking inward and believing those "in" words will keep us in narcissism. But we can be more than conquerers by believing that it is not by our might or power, but by the Spirit of God that we overcome (Zech 4:6)...by the blood of Jesus. When we look outward and up instead of inward and down, we find that we no longer need to focus on ourselves. 

I've decided (oops, there I go...oh, I did it again...there's no escaping it!) that I'm going to try to take more time to listen to people and focus on them rather than myself today. Would you care to join me?  Let's make a concerted effort to engage people today. To notice people. To care. I have a feeling that our day will be a lot more rewarding if we take the focus off ourselves and our problems and make it about others today. Look outward, not inward. 

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
By My Spirit (Leslie Phillips)



No comments:

Post a Comment