Monday, April 28, 2014

Little Commitments

Lucy, me and all my chins
The other day I took my first hike as a single-dog owner. Just Lucy and me. It was a little strange at first. I have to admit that having Psycho Dog with me at least always made me feel safe if I should be accosted by a strange man (more likely, I'd be accosted by a bear). But Lucy and I ventured on and poor Foxy was quickly forgotten.

As I've said before, time spent in the woods usually leads to my thinking, praying, communing with God. I decided that I was going to commit to something that I've been wanting to do for some time, but have been waiting for the pieces to come together. I have a tendency to quit when things get difficult, and the passion for this thing I want to do is so great that I decided in the woods that day that I would commit to starting and finishing it. I started talking to God, thanking Him for gifting me with the talents He's given me to do this thing (and no, I'm not going to tell you until it's finished), and praising Him for His goodness and creativity. Being among nature does that to me. And then He and I talked about commitment.

Not far into the hike, Lucy...relieved herself...the kind of relief that requires a bag. I did what I usually do: cleaned it up and left the bright yellow bag on the side of the trail to collect on my way back. However, I was so into talking with God, gleaning insights, etc. that I walked right by it on the way back. By the time I realized it, I was almost back to the parking lot. I stopped, briefly thought about going back to get it, then said, "eh, whatever." Then I felt a Holy Spirit nudge and the voice in my head (aka Holy Spirit) said, "Go back and get it." Whaaat? I thought. Then I said (aloud) "What if I can't find it? What if it's way far back?" 

"You made a commitment to pick up that poop." the Holy Spirit said. "Go get it. You know where it is."

I turned and groaned...more like threw a mini-temper tantrum, like a teenager being told to go change her clothes or something. But I went back. I realized that if I was going to tackle this big "thing", if I was going to commit to something, I had to learn discipline and obedience. If I couldn't be obedient in this small thing, how would I learn to be obedient in the bigger things? As I walked back up the trail, I heard His voice again, "No commitment is insignificant or small. A commitment is a commitment." I found the bag not far up the trail. It was a minor detour. But what a lesson!

No commitment is insignificant or small. A commitment is a commitment.

I like that. We need to be obedient in the "little" things if we're going to tackle bigger things. We may not make a verbal or written commitment to something...like a relationship, job or project. Sometimes it's an unspoken commitment, something as simple as picking up after the dog, taking out the trash, showing up on time. 
If you're waiting for your "big break," take a look at your commitment level. Maybe you're committed to that thing that will hopefully lead to your big break, but what about the "little commitments?" Be obedient in the little things and I'll bet your breakthrough will come. A commitment is a commitment.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment