Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Gimme Shelter/Satisfaction-Part 1

No, this isn't a tribute blog to the Rolling Stones. Unless you count the ones on the hills in the woods. 

Gimme Shelter
Shelter. We all need it. Sometimes we even need it out in the woods. I've never had the need, but it could happen. And if it did, I'm not really sure what I'd do. I don't have a plan...

While hiking in our favorite place, Jockey Hollow National Park, Brian and I came across these two shelters, almost across the path from each other. The first one we encountered was the one on the left. It definitely looks man-made, and actually looks like it took quite awhile to build. Whoever built it had to have taken the time to find just the right sized branches. Of course, it is the woods, but still...

We encountered the next shelter only moments later on the other side of the trail. That's the one on the right. It looks quite natural, as if just fell that way. It's probably not much of a shelter, and there could be critters inside that tree trunk, but in a pinch, I guess it would work.

These two pictures actually make me wonder and ponder the shelter we humans both desire and need on earth. I wondered if someone saw the rudimentary make-shift shelter and decided to build the other one. Did the natural one inspire someone's creativity? Or did it perhaps cause the person to think, "I can build bigger and better than that. I'll just show everyone what I can do!"

The natural one is right there. It's a provision for someone in need; even if it's just critters. Just like God provides. He provides for our needs. He's never failed me. And sometimes, by His grace, He provides for our wants. But not always. Sometimes we just want. We just want to build bigger and better than what God has provided for us, thinking He will bless it. And when we get into debt because of what we thought we had to have (that God didn't bless) we wonder why.

We're often just not satisfied with what God has provided for us. Or maybe we recognized the provision at first, but pride, arrogance, greed and selfish ambition crept in and blinded us to the simplicity of God's provision. We want more, we want bigger, we want updated. We find ourselves saying, "I can build bigger and better than that. I'll just show everyone what I can do!"

Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain (Ps 127:1) 

Tune in tomorrow as our saga continues with Satisfaction

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
No, I will not be providing a link to Gimme Shelter or Satisfaction. They are not appropriate for this holy blog
Hiding Place (Starfield)

No comments:

Post a Comment