Thursday, May 22, 2014

If...Then Logic Questions

I love tests. Especially the ones from God. 

I'm not even really kidding. I always sort of did like tests in school. I just didn't like getting graded on them. Still today, I love when I buy a book and there's a test in it...like a personality test or something. Because I no longer am being graded, they are actually fun. But they have to be taken honestly. I've done personality tests and spiritual gifts tests, and lied about my traits because I didn't like certain traits, or I wanted certain other ones. When I was finally honest about who I was, I was able to work on those things I didn't like, celebrate the positive traits, and realize that I just didn't have certain ones. I was only lying to myself, which makes no sense. I can't fool me.

So, those tests from God...I'm in the middle of one right now...I think. 

See, these tests from God are sometimes hard to recognize. Because it's not a formal test for which we'll need a number 2 pencil and receive a grade, we don't always know that we're in the middle of a test until making a decision becomes difficult, and we're reminded of that commitment we made, or that vow we took or that statement we made in public. 

I believe that when we make a commitment to God, He will sometimes test our faith. How will we stand up in the face of adversity? How will we fare when we are disappointed? What will we do when faced with a decision that will affect our future?

This test I'm taking right now would be much easier if I had the answer key. But it's like one of those horrendous logic questions of the SAT tests: If blank is to blank then blank is to: (choose the best answer...and all or none work). I know that if I choose A, then C will result, and if I choose B then a different C will result. Neither makes sense to me, but both do. That's why they are called "Logic" questions. Except that they're not logical. And neither is a test of faith. It doesn't make sense. Relying on God?

Here's why I love tests, especially tests from God: Because I grow in faith when I'm tested.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing (James 1:2-4 ESV)

I'm really not sure what to do right now. The only solution I have is to wait...my mother always told me, "When in doubt, wait." 

And pray. 

But instead of praying ABOUT the problem, I keep reminding myself that I need to pray THROUGH Jesus about the problem. The problem shouldn't even factor in. I need to just focus on Jesus instead of the problem, and the answer will become clear. No, it doesn't make sense. It's not logical. But...if I put my trust in Jesus, then I will lack for nothing.

Jesus said to her, "Did I not say that if you believe (then) you would see the glory of God? (John 11:40)

But my God shall supply all your needs, according to his riches in glory by Jesus Christ (Phil 4:19)

Oh, and remember...these tests from God? If you don't pass, you just get to take it over again...and again...and again...until you pass. You never fail the test...that's important to remember...because God doesn't see our not passing as failing, just learning.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

For further reading:
The Unsurpassed Intimacy of Tested Faith (Oswald Chambers)
Your Faith is Being Tested (Rick Warren)

Song of the Day
Look Upon the Lord (Paul Baloche & Kari Jobe)

No comments:

Post a Comment