Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Retiring from Desiring to Acquire

One of my many jobs is to watch over the homes of a few different folks who live, for most of the year, in Florida. They have a home here in New Jersey, but spend the majority of their time in Florida. It gives them peace of mind to know that someone is watching their other home. 

Soon, they will be returning to New Jersey for the summer because Florida, I suppose is too hot, and I won't be needed until the fall, when they return, once again to their other home.

I sometimes wonder what these people do about certain belongings, clothes, etc. Obviously, their homes are fully furnished and they have two sets of dishes, silverware, towels, sheets, and so on. But does Mrs. Smith (obviously not her real name and that picture is not her real house-either of them) ever wake up one morning in her New Jersey bed, and say, "Oooh, I want to wear that cute sundress with those adorable sandals that match...and, oh, I have those earrings to pull it all together!" ...and then realize that she left those things in Florida? Does she buy two of something she really likes and have one set of clothes in Florida and the same set of clothes in New Jersey? Or does she pack everything up, like she's going off to college?

I don't know that I could handle that; this is why I don't have another home in Florida. 

But it does make me think about Heaven. We've all heard the saying, "You can't take it with you." We all know that you go out the same way you came in to this world-owning nothing. To some people, that thought might be scary, especially if they don't know for sure which state they'll end up in once they leave this state. Will it be one like New Jersey, or that place that's much hotter---you know, Florida? (My comedic apologies to my Florida friends) Hopefully, Heaven is much nicer than New Jersey. I love the Garden State, but well, I'm hoping for something more like one of those huts on the water in Tahiti, since I'll most likely never get there in this world.

For those of us who call Jesus "Lord" and accept His shed blood and finished work on the cross, those of us who know that we are definitely going to Heaven, and not...Florida, it's comforting to know that we don't need to stock up on matching clothes for our second home....which is really our first home. This one (the one in New Jersey, Florida or wherever) is really our temporary housing until our closing date, when we go to our true home and receive our mansion, or hut on the water in Tahiti/Heaven. 

The older I get, the less I desire to "have" things. We spend our early adult years acquiring and our later adult years retiring those same things. We upsize in our early years, seeming to need more room for the kids and whatever else, and when the kids move out, we downsize, not needing those same things anymore. I'm content now with my little bungalow and 9 year old car. It's very freeing to not desire to acquire. I've retired from desiring to acquire (although I still wouldn't mind a hut on the water in Tahiti).

Now, I'm not waiting to just die, mind you. I have a long life still to live (I hope!). I certainly don't fault anyone with two homes---if the Lord has blessed you with financial abundance, I'm happy for you. But remember, don't hold on too tightly--to anything that is material. It can be taken from you at any moment. And of course, when your closing date finally arrives, you will be going to a fully furnished hut on the water in Tahiti. And Jesus will have already picked out your clothes---robes of white. I hope you're not attached to all that black---unless you're planning to go to...ahem...Florida.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
Mansion Over the Hilltop (Ricky van Shelton) (or hut on the water)

No comments:

Post a Comment