Friday, May 16, 2014

Today is the Day

I woke up this morning relishing in the fact that it was Friday. I thought about how I have to go to an early meeting tomorrow, but could sleep in on Sunday. I was really looking forward to that! I wondered if the weather would be nice for a hike this weekend. As I got ready for my day, I thought of the "Friday things" I had to do at work. I let the dog out and thought, wow, that grass got really high in a week.

Now, if you're reading this the day it was posted, it is indeed Friday. But I wrote it on Thursday. Yes, it was Thursday, not Friday! It took me a good half hour to realize that!

Imagine my disappointment! But, I thought, it could be a lot worse. It could be Monday. Or I could have a life where it doesn't matter what day it is, it's another day without a job or food or waking up and remembering you have cancer. Or...so many more things. You get the idea. 

It gave me something to both be thankful for and to chuckle about. I'm still chuckling. And every time I chuckle, I also thank God that I have a job. That I have a beautiful home and grass to mow every week. That I have only one nicely-behaved dog (aka Normal Dog) to let out and that Jamie (the trainer) is giving Foxy (aka Psycho Dog) a second chance. That God gives me the ability to get out of bed each day and forget what day it is. Because no matter what day it is, it's a good day!

This is the day which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it (Ps 118:24-NASB).

Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS! I will say it again--rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Phil 4:4-6).

I know it sounds trite, but today is all we have. Yesterday is in the past, and as Joyce Meyer says, it's called the past because it has passed. You can't go back and relive yesterday. Tomorrow hasn't come yet, and it never will, because once it does, it will be today. So, you see, today really is all we have. Don't live in the "what happened?" of yesterday and the "what if" of tomorrow. Live for today. Forgive. Encourage. Trust. Help. Create. Inspire. Discover. Celebrate. Do. And above all, LAUGH!!!

Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own (Matt 6:33-34)

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Today is the Day (Lincoln Brewster)




No comments:

Post a Comment