Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What I Learned From Snow Peas

This is my bathroom at work:


Just kidding...here's my real bathroom:


No joke. This is it. I know...it's gross. But it's all I've got. You get used to it. It gets cleaned once a week. The only time it's really bad is in sweltering heat, torrential rain and the bitter cold of winter. It could be worse...a lot worse. It could look like this:

I could have put a far worse image up, but I didn't want to get too gross. You get the idea. We take so much for granted, when there are people living in poverty, in third world countries, who may even feel lucky to have this, much less a portable potty that gets cleaned once a week.

Last night I wanted to make chicken stir-fry, but I really needed fresh snow peas. My local supermarket didn't have them. I tried the frozen food section. No luck there either. I stood in front of the freezer doors, pouting. I thought, Well now I need a Plan B. I really want my snow peas. I really wanted stir fry tonight. I figured something else out, but as I was driving out of the parking lot, I thought, The problem with this town is that there is only one supermarket. If we had another one, I could go there for snow peas. 

Only one supermarket. Only one place to buy my precious snow peas. Really??? I'll bet this mom doesn't worry about which supermarket has snow peas. 
I'm not going to tackle the poverty issue here on this blog; we're all knowledgeable. We all know poverty exists, and there are many wonderful organizations that help with that. My point is that I am spoiled. I really have no idea what it's like to not have a toilet or food or clean water. Or a home. Look at this woman. She's raising her family in a cave.They don't even have a chair or a bed to sleep on, and I complain that my 20 year old wing chair is worn. I may say I'm starving!, but I never have been. I really don't know what that feels like. I always have and always do have an option of eating something. These are all things I take for granted. They've always been there and I trust they always will. 

Sometimes I have that attitude about God. I just go on with my day, not really thinking about how wonderful it is to have a Father who loves me, protects me, cares for me and provides for me. He's always been there and I know He always will be. That's something to be celebrated! That's something to be oh so thankful for! Knowing God is far greater than having snow peas. Far greater than having a meal. Even though I have never experienced poverty, I would rather have Jesus than anything else.

So, today, I thank God for the simple things I complain about or take for granted: food, water, clothing, shelter, a job, a supermarket, snow peas, and most important...Him. I thank God for God. Oh, and the Port-a-Potty.

Be thankful today for those things you complain about.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day





No comments:

Post a Comment