Thursday, July 17, 2014

No Contest

I love contests. I guess it's because I have a competitive nature. I admit, I do love to win. I saw a sign in the library for a photo contest, and without reading any further, I thought, "Oh, I'll enter that!" Then I saw the specifics...something about the town of Chester in the spring. Well, I have no pictures of that, so I can't enter. But what made me think any of the pictures I take (on my phone, I might add) would be worthy of winning or even good enough to enter? I'm not a photography nut. I don't have a fancy camera. Well, I actually do, but I don't understand enough about aperture and exposure and all that. I just use my phone. You've seen some of my pictures on this blog. They're ordinary. What makes me think I'm extraordinary?

You know what's cool? God thinks that I'm extraordinary. And He thinks that you are too. Because He made us to be that way. And you know what else is cool? That even though I have a competitive nature, I don't ever feel like I have to compete with anyone else for God's love. Because God's love is very different from the love we give to and receive from others...human love...conditional love.

We humans attach conditions and expectations to our love...If/then love. If you love me, then you would_____________. Some of those requests are reasonable; many are not,especially if we're coming from a place of distrust or insecurity from past hurts or abuse.

A child learns love from his/her parents; sadly, too many people enter into parenthood with open love wounds, and don't really know how to love unconditionally. How do you love unconditionally when you've never been loved unconditionally? 

But God does that! He loves us without reservation. Without conditions. Without expectations. He gives us a secure love. A loyal love. A strong love. An everlasting love. Because He IS love (1 John 4:8). There is more than enough of God's love to go around. It's like a spring that just keeps flowing with fresh water and never runs dry. So there's never a reason to feel envious or jealous of someone else's "love affair" with God.

I have loved you with an everlasting love. I have drawn you with unfailing kindness (Jer 31:3)

The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms (Deut 33:27)

Nothing I do will cause Him to love me less. And nothing I do will cause Him to love me more. His love abounds, even when I don't deserve it. There is no contest. God wins---hands down!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day
The Love of God (Mercy Me)
I Have Loved You With an Everlasting Love (Kent Henry)

No comments:

Post a Comment