Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Time and Money

The two things we never seem to have enough of---time and money.

The ironic thing is that when we do get more of it, it's still not enough. Or we just don't notice because we always have more bills to pay and more obligations that steal our time.

How many of us have said, "When my ___________ debt is paid off, then I will do_________ with my extra money."?

Yeah, that never seems to happen. Somehow, something else fills that spot.

Same thing with time. The restaurants would be flooded with customers if we all kept those lunch appointments we say we're going to have when we run into people. "Let's have lunch sometime!" Yes, let's do...sometime.

We all long for that "extra" time and "extra" money. Who really has extra? Time? We all have the same 24 hours.  And money? Let's not even talk about how much it costs today to use your phone...some of us remember when we got a phone, plugged it into the wall and it stayed there...until it died. And they never died.

Bing dictionary defines "extra" as more than usual; added to or over and above the usual, original or necessary amount; more and better. Did you see that word...necessary? It mean essential, absolutely needed. If we sat down and took an inventory of our time and money, how much of it would really be "essential, absolutely needed?" Would it really be more and better?

The other day I got the greatest compliment from a friend. I invited a bunch of people to see a free play in the park that another friend was in. We had a great time, the show was fantastic, and it was free! He told me, "You should give lessons to people on how to live....they'd enjoy their time more." I told him, "I do. On my blog!"

How much of our time is wasted on what we think we need to do? How much of our money is wasted on what we think we need? 

What is absolutely essential in your life? What can you live without? I've personally given up some things I really enjoyed doing simply because they took up too much of my time. Frankly, I was tired of the treadmill. I actually enjoy having less obligations and more free time. 

Those vacant spaces in your calendar? Let them be. Empty calendar space can turn into spontaneous gatherings with friends that can be a blessing to all. 

Budget your money. Budget your time. But remember to hold loosely to both. You might just enjoy life a lot more.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment