Thursday, August 21, 2014

Anything is Possible if You Believe

"If I ever make it big, I'm gonna hire someone to do all...this...for me," I told my husband as a made a circular sweep toward my computer. I really don't understand Twitter, Pinterest and all those other social media things. I'm learning, but I'm doing it kicking and screaming. I get very frustrated and most of the time, I don't really know what I'm doing. But if you want exposure, it's sort of a given that you need to use social media. After all, that's how blogger Julie Powell (Julie and Julia) was "discovered!" I watched the movie. At one point, her mother said, "Honey, I think I'm the only one reading your blog." or something like that. She ended up getting a book deal on cooking other people's recipes! Hey, anything is possible if the "right" people find you!

My husband did not reply to my handswept comment. Maybe he thought I was speaking to the computer. Maybe he wasn't sure what the "right" answer was, given my frustration (a smart man learns that during his wife's session of frustration, no answer will be the "right" one, but some answers can be less "right" than the right "right" ones). But in that moment of awkward silence (when the right answer was...well, I don't know, but should have been one of incredible encouragement!) my immediate thought was, "He doesn't believe in me," which was, of course, a blatant lie from the pit of hell. My husband is probably my biggest cheerleader. He's always peering over my shoulder to see what I'm writing. 

To cover up my insecurity, thinking that my husband thought I was crazy for thinking I'd ever "make it big," I said this: "Yeah, right, as if THAT'LL ever happen!"  Isn't this what we do when we feel like we've put this big thing out there that maybe we might actually believe is possible, but when we don't get validation from those most important to us, we cover it up because we're embarrassed at the very audacity of even thinking that might be possible? 

Well, he was already out of the room by the time I made that comment, or at least, on his way out. And once he turns around, I know he doesn't hear whatever I say. I knew that he most likely didn't hear that comment, but it was further validation for me. "He doesn't believe in me." I felt this incredible sadness come over me for a brief moment, as if I had somehow already failed at something and that I should just give up. 

Then I saw an index card I had placed on my desk with a scripture I'd written on it several years ago. It said this: All things are possible to him who believes (Mark 9:23).

Was I going to continue to dwell in sadness and self-pity or was I going to believe? Believe that through Christ all things are possible because He is where I get my strength, my validation, and even my talents? 

I don't know my bible inside and out; I've often said on this blog that I'm not a scholar or a theologian. I may not always get it right. But here's what I think I know: I don't think I ever read an account of Jesus Christ saying, "I can't." His message was always, "Believe." But he never said, "Believe in yourself." Rather, His message was always to believe in Him. If it was a circumstance, believe that something would come about through believing in Him. It's called faith.

Without Him, I'm nothing. Without His help, I may as well not bother. If I write for recognition, fame or self-glory, I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, and it really doesn't matter if I have 5 followers or 5000. It's all going to be fluff for the sake of puff...puffing up myself. If I "make it big" by believing in myself, I just may get my Ishmael instead of my Isaac (that's not mine...I "borrowed that from Joyce Meyer) and we know how that worked out for Abraham and Sarah. And if I am counting on people to give me validation, I will always be disappointed. Not everyone will agree with what I do or say. Sometimes those closest to us don't give us what we think we need because they don't know that we need it! Only Jesus Himself can do that for us. AND...the enemy of our souls would like us to believe that "no one cares or understands me." He will attempt to thwart God's plan for our lives where we are most vulnerable.

Anything is possible for him who believes. Not in him or herself, but that God can do it! Sure, we have to do our part, but it takes the pressure off, knowing that whatever happens is out of my control and in the hands of God. 

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be given to you as well (Matt 6:33)
Take delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart (Ps 37:4)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 4:13)

I still wish someone would do all that social media for me. 

Blessings Along the Way,
Mary

Song of the Day
All Things Are Possible (Hillsongs)
Whose Report Will You Believe Medley (Times Square Church)


No comments:

Post a Comment