Friday, August 29, 2014

I Might...I Might Not

After sitting in my "hole" (as I call my little office space in the bigger office trailer; aka "The Estrogen Corner") for nine hours, I often feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. 


Yesterday was one of those days. I needed to move! So when I got home, Lucy and I went to our favorite spot (Buttermilk Falls) in Mendham (NJ). I'm probably repeating myself, but I can't always remember what I've written and when I wrote it, and I'm hoping that you can't always remember what you read and when you read it. Anyway...

As much as I love being in the woods, in the quiet, and on the move, there is always this niggling in the back of my head...well, sometimes in the front of it...what if I see a bear? It's actually pretty bad because I can never just relax and enjoy my hike and my surroundings because I'm always scanning for bears.

Lucy in her favorite swimming hole
The fact is, in all the years that I've been hiking, I've only encountered a bear twice: once this year and once last year. The first time he took one look at us and turned right around. The second time he never even saw us. So why do I still obsess about it? Why can I not get it out of my head? Why have I told myself to be afraid to enjoy the woods because I might encounter a bear?

I do that with difficult hikes as well. I see in a magazine, or hear from a friend what looks or sounds like a cool hike and I tell myself, Oh that looks/sounds great, but there's that ledge that's awfully precarious. I might fall. 

I've done it with acting roles that I wanted to audition for. That looks too hard. I might forget my lines.

I can't do that. I might fall.
I can't do that. I might fail.
That sounds like fun, but...I might not be any good at it.

Sound familiar? The power of the Unknown. Fear.

But here's the cool thing I discovered about the word might (some of you know that I'm a word nerd)...

It is an auxillary verb, meaning that it's a "helping" verb---the active verbs are see, fall, fail and be (in the negative). The word might is used to express possibility. I might see, I might fall, I might fail, I might (not) be. Equally, the possibility exists that I might NOT see, fall or fail or not be (okay, that's a double negative which actually makes it a positive, but that gets into math, which befuddles me). 

Instead of dwelling on the negative possibility, what would happen if we replaced those thoughts with the positive possibility (which actually looks like a negative with the word "not")...I might NOT see a bear today in the woods. I might NOT fall if I do that difficult hike. I might NOT fail if I audition for that role. That sounds like fun...I might actually be pretty good at that! There is power in our words. The more we repeat the positive, the more we'll believe it, and we become what we believe.

And here's where it gets oh so exciting! The word might as a noun! Dictionary.com defines might (n) as the power or ability to do or accomplish or superior power or strength; force. So the next time you're thinking a negative might, think of the power of God that gives you strength and might to overcome the negative, conquer your fear and become what you believe! God is that Superior Power, that Force, and He gives us the power and ability to do or accomplish!

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength (Phil 4:13)

God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline (2 Tim 1:7)

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever, amen (Eph 3:20-21)

So the next time I venture into the woods, I will say, "I might NOT see a bear today!" (and hope that I don't! Hey, I'm learning along with you!) What negative will you turn into a positive today?

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Song of the Day:
The Lord is My Strength (Dennis Jernigan)


No comments:

Post a Comment