Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Proving Permanance

I know a woman who is permanently handicapped in a wheelchair. In other words, she will always be in a wheelchair. It's not temporary. It won't go away or get better.

Every three years she is required to actually go to the Motor Vehicle Commission and provide a doctor's note which "proves" that she is permanently handicapped in order to keep her permanent handicap vehicle tag. It cannot be done through the mail. I suppose they want to actually see her wheel herself in as further proof?

Okay, I won't talk about the Motor Vehicle Commission and how stupid this seems. I mean, they don't even accept their own driver's license as enough proof for a renewal. You still have to provide a passport, birth certificate or other means of proof. So why should they believe that a permanently disabled (and by the way, I don't really like that term either...someone in a wheelchair is perfectly able...just not physically, but again I digress) person might be telling the truth? 

Okay, I'm sure there's a good reason for this, like people taking advantage of something like the privilege of good parking by forging a doctor's note to pretend that they are really handicapped when they're not. Right. Just like I guess you could get a fake NJ driver's license and try to pass it off as real at the Motor Vehicle agency in order to continue to drive with a real license instead of a fake one. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through. And you have to have a lot of nerve. And you have to be a good liar.

I'm glad that when I get to heaven, I won't have to prove my permanence. I won't have to bring
my license, or a valid passport or a doctor's note. When I'm asked, "Why should we let you in?" I will say, "Well, you probably shouldn't. I'm a sinner who has never done quite enough to earn my way in here. All of my good works cannot add up to enough. The good person that I thought I was on earth is really not good enough to warrant entry." Then, peering through the pearly gates, I might say, "But I see other sinners and good people floating around in there who don't necessarily belong here either." 

When that doesn't get a laugh, I'll realize that this is a very serious issue and I probably should not be making jokes right now. So I will simply say, "It is only through the shed blood of Jesus Christ that I can consider myself worthy of being in the presence of a Holy God. Jesus Christ paid the debt of my sin when He gave Himself as a blood sacrifice on the cross. It is only through His righteousness that I am made righteous." 

And guess what else? There won't be any handicapped tags in heaven! 

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

*If you're not sure of your salvation, ask yourself these questions:

  1. How good of a person is "good"? What determines "good" and at what point are you good enough to get into heaven?
  2. How many "good deeds" do you have to do until it's enough? Who sets the standard?
  3. By whose moral code are you living? Again, what's the standard?
then read these scriptures, and feel free to contact me.
  • for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23)
  • How then can we be saved? All of us have become like one who is unclean and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags. (Is 64:5-6)
  • For it is by grace that you have been saved through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works so no one can boast (Eph 2:8-9)
  • For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus, our Lord (Rom  6:23)
  • Jesus said to Him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)
  • "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father, who is in heaven (Mat 7:21)









No comments:

Post a Comment