Friday, September 12, 2014

Promoting Others

"Everybody's got a book!" I griped to...well to the air, I suppose. The only other breathing being in the room was the dog. And he didn't care. 
Chinook

I recently discovered something called Linkups in the blogosphere. This is when one blogger invites other bloggers to post their own blogs on the first blogger's website.

 My first thought was, "Why would you want to promote other bloggers?"

Boy did I have a lot to learn. 

It's not a competition. It's about networking, encouraging and helping. Sharing our stories with other like-minded individuals. Learning from those further along and offering a helping hand to those (like myself) who are just learning.

When you see the links at the bottom of my post...those are the linkups that I've shared on. If you click on those links, you'll find a host of other blogs, many of which might be useful or encouraging to you. We comment on each others' blogs. We follow each other. We might even subscribe to someone's blog if we really like it. That's how you build your blog...through promoting others.

But back to the book thing...

It seemed like just about every blog I visited had beautiful pictures and pages and...well, books! Everyone seems to have written a book. Granted, self-publishing has made that easier to do. Not everyone has an agent or a book deal out there. 

So why was I griping? Why was I...oh, dare I say it...ugh...JEALOUS?



Yes, that is exactly what I was. Why does that person have a book and I don't? 
Because they wrote one and you didn't.

Why do they get to stay home and write and I have to work?
You don't know their situation, circumstances or struggles. But you have a job that allows you to write during down time. 

Someone recently told me, "You can't have bad writing if you don't have anything written."
True.

I have wanted to write a book my whole life. The topics come and go. "The Book" was always more of an idea than a project. It's more romantic that way. 

So I finally buckled down and started writing one...or three. That's the problem. There are only so many burners on the stove, and I have to juggle the pots to see which one I want to cook. 

If I don't write, it won't get written. 

Maybe it's not so much jealousy, but an envy that these people have more discipline than I do. Or more time. Or more structure. Or more...whatever. 


Maybe it's not really about those other people at all. 

When I said, "Everybody's got a book!" it was with a bit of contempt...not toward them, but toward myself. 

I somehow believe that I'm not good enough, smart enough, polished enough, disciplined enough, known enough, educated enough, experienced enough...the list goes on. (But I routinely encourage others with the direct opposite!)

So I just don't bother. It's easier to keep it romanticized in my head. But the problem is, all that stuff in my head needs to get on paper. It's begging to be written.

I look at the pictures of these women on their web/blogsites. They're regular gals, like me. So they wrote a book. So, why don't you buy it? Read it. Promote it. Be happy for their success. Learn from them.

There is no deadline for my book(s). I put pressure on myself. And when I think I can't meet my own expectations, I quit. It's easier not to write it. I have a habit of quitting when things get too hard.

And the cycle begins again.

But here's the most important thing...

I can't do any of this unless God gives it to me. 

Gives me the inspiration. Gives me the ability to write. Gives me the time. Gives me the discipline and the structure and the how-to. Gives me the strength to stand up to the enemy when he tells me all those lies that I'm not________ enough. 

It doesn't matter that I don't have an impressive bio or that I have 25 blog followers and not 25,000. It doesn't matter that I don't have the degree which (in my mind) qualifies me to write a book on any certain subject matter. God doesn't look at all of that.

God looks at my heart. My character. My desire. My authenticity.



All I need to do is write. If I delight myself in Him, He will give me the desires of my heart (Ps 37:4). God will promote me in His time. 

What promotion are you waiting on God for? 

Are you doing your part? Are you jealous of someone else's success? Let's examine our hearts today. Let's promote someone else today.

Please visit these wonderful women's sites who so graciously allow me, and other bloggers to linkup on their sites (partial list; I'm still discovering!):

Mondays: Monday Musings, Playdates With God
Tuesdays: Testimony Tuesday
Wednesdays: Wholehearted Wednesday, Word-Filled Wednesday
Thursdays: Thought-Provoking Thursdays, Thriving Thursdays
Fridays: Faith-Filled Fridays, Essential Fridays, Blessing Counters
Sundays: Sunday Stillness, The Weekend Brew
Please also note that if the link doesn't work, it may be because that "linkup" is closed (refreshes each week). Type the Name in your browser and hopefully that will work.


Blessings Along the Path,
Mary


9 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I am also intimidated at times by the accomplishments of other bloggers. Actually, I started blogging because I had a book half-written, and was looking into how to get it published.
    Turns out you can't get anything published unless you have an advanced degree, a blog, a speaking career, followers, etc, etc. What? So okay, I'll start a blog. Now I don't know if I want to write a book. Sheesh. It's a vicious circle. I know I'm supposed to write though, so that's something!

    There is another link-up you might like. It's called "Sharing His Beauty" on Mondays at thebeautyinhisgrip.com (See, I'm promoting someone else!)

    So nice to meet you, and thank you for your visit today!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that there's another blogger out there like me-trying to figure it all out! Blogging takes up a lot of time, and I have to remember that God is in control of all of it. If I spend time trying to make my blog into something that isn't me, is it because I want to "fit in?" Ugh...Blog Jr. High. It's important to keep our focus on Him, isn't it?

      Thanks for stopping in for a visit, Ceil. I really enjoyed your blog, and I am now following you on Twitter (that's another thing I just don't get).

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thanks, Ceil for the recommendations. I will check those out.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing and encouraging post! I admit being guilty of many of the same thoughts to those with more success. It makes me want to cry some days! I'm able to be home right now because of my anxiety making work impossible - but I know how much it would help my fiancee if I could bring in even 100$ a month blogging, or finish the book I'm writing and sell it!!

    I am trying instead to focus on asking God to lead me and to use me in my blogging and writing - and also to keep encouraging other women to build their dreams. I've been making friends and growing and it's a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Stefanie, and for your kind and encouraging words. I'm discovering the importance of supporting one another in our endeavors, and I am really enjoying making new connections. We're all in this together, really, for the glory of the Lord. We need to keep our eyes focused upward, not inward!

      Delete
  3. You're neighbor on the weekend brew...

    Just wanted to say hello.

    I thank you for your kind encouragement in your post here today. It spoke volumes... because I too have a "book" on the back burner or maybe three (rolling around in there) and fear is a HUGE thing. I've been blogging for a long, long time and some days I truly wonder if I really have anything left in me...I remind myself. As a stay-at-home mom... I honestly never know who it might be that needs the love of Jesus and if this is one simple way to brighten my corner of the world then let me be a woman of influence... and most of all encouragement.

    Thank you - again! - for yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bevy for stopping by. It's a journey, right? We just need to keep doing what we're doing...in His time.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely blog Mary! It takes a lot of courage to share on that level. I admire you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracie! Thanks for stopping in to visit again! Thank you for your kind (as usual) words.

      Delete