Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Toad-ally Beautiful

I discovered this little guy on my car one day. 



He rode the hood for quite awhile before I actually noticed him. I have no idea how he stayed on, but he did. 

Beautiful, isn't he (or she)?

A few nights earlier, I discovered this guy hanging out on our patio.



I'll bet your reaction was not quite the same. Maybe, "Ew, yuck!"

But I've grown quite fond of Mr. Toad, as I affectionately call him. He actually appears every night when it gets dark, and hangs out on the patio for hours. Lucy (the dog) goes out, sees him, sniffs him and watches him hop away. She then continues on in her quest for a suitable place to pee, and Mr. Toad hops back. 

I like to think of Mr. Toad as our "outdoor" pet and Lucy as our "indoor" pet. (I love the fact that our outdoor pet is maintenance free!) They seem to respect and accept one another's habitats and existence.

Sure, Mr. Toad's appearance is far less beautiful than Mr. Praying Mantis. And he's a commoner. A townie. He's one of many. He's...Ordinary. But he's loyal. He visits me every night. I've come to really like him...as long as he stays outside.

Mr. Praying Mantis is beautiful, yes. Royalty. Extraordinary. The extreme opposite of Mr. Toad. But he visited for only a moment and went in search for greener grasses. His visit was fleeting, as if he was blessing me with his presence. Uppity insect!

It makes me think of the old saying, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here are some more:

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. (Confucius)

Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

How do you see yourself? Do you see a praying mantis or a toad? Are you sure that who you aspire to be is a better option than who you really are?

Being a praying mantis is what the world tells us is the more desirable choice. Being beautiful. Stately. Majestic. Rich. Famous. Talked about. The one everyone looks up to and wants to be. But outward beauty comes with a price: upkeep! When you're no longer beautiful, the world turns to the next beauty.

I've decided that Toad living is the better choice. 

Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (Prov 31:30)

I would rather be known as a woman who fears the Lord than a woman who is outwardly beautiful...okay, well, I'll admit...I'd like to be both...I'd prefer not to have people say, "She is such a godly woman! It's a good thing, because she's so ugly she looks like a toad. Good thing God loves her." 

I'd prefer not to actually look like a toad. You get my drift.

Keeping up appearances gets tiring. I'd rather let the world see my toad-ness. You can be repulsed by me, or you can accept me...(excuse the pun)...warts and all!

I want to be like Mr. Toad...returning to loyalty. Not pretending I'm royalty, like the praying mantis.

What will you choose today...Loyalty or Royalty?

Blessings Along the Path,










I know I've used this video before, but it's a great reminder not to judge someone by their looks.
"Ugliest Girl" gives motivating speech (Lizzie Velasquez)


Linking up with Testimony Tuesday, Word-Filled Wednesday, Winsome Wednesday, Thriving Thursday, All Things Bright and Beautiful

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. Appreciate you linking up to Testimony Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete