Saturday, October 18, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 17: The Antidote


©  | Dreamstime Stock Photos

Today's Challenge: 
Look in the mirror and "reflect" on how God sees you.

Yesterday I talked about negative attitudes. It really deserves more than one day, because all you have to do is be around a few people and you start hearing grumbling, complaining, doom and gloom, blame...the list goes on.

However, I have so much to say on the positive end, that I'm going to just leave yesterday's alone. You get the point. 

I find most people to be somewhat negative. It's almost like it's a common link to another person.

What do you do if you have a negative attitude? What if you're living in the Land of Negativity and you can't seem to find the way out?

Just deciding not to be negative anymore isn't going to work. It's like me deciding not to eat sugar because it's bad for me. Yet, every day after lunch, I "need" something sweet. I slip right back into it. Because it's there. 

Because I'm writing a series on overcoming negativity, you may be inclined to think that I'm never negative. Hah! 

This morning it occurred to me that I'd had a slew of negative thoughts that I hadn't really paid attention to. It started as soon as I woke up.
     Boy, it's awful dark out. I hate getting up for work so early and I hate that it's so dark out.
     It's hot in here. I should've opened the window last night.
     I STILL have that headache.
A little while later, I was in the bathroom, looking in the mirror...the mirror is a great place for "reflecting" on your negative thoughts by the way...when I realized how negative I was being. I won't bore you with those thoughts...I was looking in the mirror at my over 50 self...use your imagination.
    
The point is...negative thinking becomes a habit. And much of the time, we're unaware of it.

Habits are hard to break, but they can be broken.

There is an antidote.

Merriam Webster defines antidote as a remedy to counteract the effects of poison.

I'd say that negative thinking qualifies as a poison.

The remedy is to replace those thoughts.


It's easy to replace, "I'm so fat." with "I'm not fat."

But if you really are fat, well...it's going to be hard for you to believe that you're not. The next statement might be, "Oh, who am I kidding? I'm FAT!" 

And you slide right back into the negativity. "What's the use? I'm so overweight, I'll never lose these pounds. Being fat makes me look ugly. And look at my hair-all that gray. I look like an old woman. And nobody will ever hire me looking fat and being old. I'll never get a job."

Keep telling yourself that and you'll stay there.

The problem, as I keep saying, is that we focus too much on ourselves. The power does not dwell in ourselves, but in how we see ourselves. The power rests in God.

When we learn to see ourselves and others as God sees us, we are on the road to Positivity-ville.

Whatever the habits are that we want to change, whether it be negative thinking, unhealthy eating, or an addiction, we cannot do it alone. We will always fail.

We must first learn to accept ourselves as who we are in Christ, who God made us to be. Only when we have done that will we be able to accept others as they are, and the world for what it is.

The above link will take you to a page that will explain your true identity in Christ: a child of God, chosen, accepted, a new creation, forgiven, strengthened, justified, a conqueror. 

Also, check out Robert McGee's Search For Significance to further explore your identity in Christ. It changed my life and how I saw myself. 

Accepting yourself as God sees you will set your free from negative self-talk. 

You can change the way you talk. You can change the way you see yourself. You can change because God gives you strength in all things through Jesus Christ (Phil 4:13)

Change comes from acceptance. Accept who you are and you will discover that change will come.

Instead of looking in the mirror and complaining about our outward appearance, let's try reflecting in God's mirror and saying, 

Thank you God for another day here on earth. Thank you for good health. Thank you for family, friends, a place to work, a place to live, a place to play and a place to come and rest when I'm weary. Thank you for accepting me and loving me just the way I am.

Blessings Along the Path,







Song of the Day
I Am Redeemed (Big Daddy Weave)

No comments:

Post a Comment