Friday, October 3, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 2: It's Too Hard


Today's challenge:  Stop making excuses!

Yesterday, I told you that I'd accepted a writing challenge. It's a yearly blogging thing, and ever since I learned how to "link-up" with other bloggers, this whole new technical challenge began. I feel like I'm in Kindergarten and I just walked into a college lecture. 

This stuff is HARD! And I really don't like it. At all. 

I balked and told myself that God didn't want me to do this. He wants me to rest. But I never actually asked God if He wanted me NOT to do it. The last time I asked God what I should write about (which was three or four days ago, and I actually lost what I wrote when my computer crashed), His response was, "Write what you want."

So, I jumped in, kicking and screaming (silently, as it was nearly midnight and Hubster was sleeping, as I should have been).

A lot of things in life are hard. Losing weight. Finding time to exercise. Breaking out of the sugar addiction. Writing that book. Those are just some of mine.

What are yours?

How many times have you used that line? "It's so hard!" or "It's too hard!"

"So hard" says, "I just don't want to do it."
"Too hard" says, "I don't believe I can do it."

When we look at our difficulties as obstacles, they seem insurmountable. Too tough to understand or overcome. But if we look at them as a challenge, it may spur us on to change. Most of us don't like change, and that could be a big factor in why we say something is too hard. 

As much as we don't like the situation we're in, it's familiar and strangely comfortable. 

Changing it is scary. Hard. So hard. Too hard.

Accepting a challenge is scary. Hard. Scary hard!

What if I fail? Well, hey...what if you don't? You won't know unless you do it.

I've had some scary hard challenges in my life. I learned to ride a bike. To drive a car. To rollerskate. To walk home alone in the dark. I went to college. I left home. I had babies. I got divorced. I was a single mom. I produced not one, but two original cds. I played Amanda Wingfield in the Glass Menagerie (if you don't know that role, there are something like 9 or so monologues---long and pointless ones). I broke into blogging. I DID these things. And I didn't die. I did them because I actually like a challenge. I like change.

The biggest reason I didn't want to accept this 31 Days of Writing challenge is not the writing part. It's the technical part. It's hard. I didn't want to attempt to overcome the obstacle because I resisted change and I was lazy. Yes, lazy. Too lazy to put forth the work it required.

Change is work. Hard work. It's not for the lazy or apathetic. Or the timid.

Yes, it's hard. But just think of the rewards you'll reap if you do it: Confidence, knowledge, accomplishment, joy, relief...just to name a few.

Positive results.

Not negativity.

So, what about you? Will you accept my daily challenges to overcome negativity?

Don't let negativity slow you down or hold you back.

Stop making excuses.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

linking up with Faith Filled Friday

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I will work on not being so negative. I know that my biggest foe is myself!
    Good for you for grabbing on to this blogging challenge. I am aware of it, but it scares me to death...I don't think I have so much to say.

    Blessings to you on your writing!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So hard" says, "I just don't want to do it."
    "Too hard" says, "I don't believe I can do it."

    This is GOLD! Thank you for this - it hit me right between the eyes. So good.

    ReplyDelete