Friday, October 24, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 23: Whatever is Pure



Today's Challenge: 
Make the words of your mouth and 
the thoughts in your heart be pleasing to God.

Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God (Matt 5:8)

That's what I want. I want to see God. I want to be pure in heart.

Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place?
    He who has clean hands and a pure heart
        who does not lift his soul up to an idol
         or swear by what is false (Ps 24:3-4).

I want to ascend the hill of the Lord. 
I want to stand in his holy place.
I want to have clean hands 
and a pure heart.

But too often, I am not willing to give up my idols.
Too often, I compromise.
And swear.
And lie.
And gossip
And slander.
And...

The words of the Lord are pure like silver refined in a furnace of clay purified seven times (Ps 12:6).

Another version says they are flawless.

I want the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart to be pleasing to the Lord (Ps 19:14)

The Hebrew word for pure comes from a root word meaning to be bright or uncontaminated.

I want that. 
I want to be uncontaminated by the influences and lusts of this world. 
By my negative thinking. 

I want my words to emulate those that come from the mouth of God.

Pure
Flawless
Uncontaminated
Bright

I found this very cool video on Youtube. While they're not using a clay furnace, but a modern torch, it's still a great spiritual lesson. He says, "You have to be vigilant" (in melting the metal down). During a classroom lecture, he says that in biblical times, when they melted metal down, the way you knew it was pure silver was that you could see your own reflection in the metal--meaning that when you could see your own reflection, you'd be reflecting the character of God. Purity.

So when we begin sliding down the slippery slope of negative thinking, we can quickly turn it around by filling our minds with thoughts that are pure, uncontaminated, flawless; thoughts that would please God; thoughts that God Himself would think and say about us, about others, about our situations. 

It's not always easy.
Sometimes we need to sit in the refiner's fire at very hot temperatures for a long time.
Maybe seven times.
Until the dross and impurities are burned away.
Until we reflect God.
Until we can think on thoughts that are pure.

He is full of wisdom, and we can have that too.

But wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. (James 3:17)

Sounds like a good plan to follow. Lord, teach us, show us, instruct us in the way.

Blessings Along the Path,









Song of the Day
Psalm 24: Lift Up Your Heads (Sons of Korah)
Refiner's Fire (Brian Doerksen)

Sharing this post with Mel from Essential Fridays

2 comments:

  1. This is such a blessed scripture to think on and to contemplate. A good friend reminded me once that it isn't just about my own words that I need to apply this to, but how I think of others. I need to use this idea of thinking pure and lovely, true and honorable thoughts to others as well as my words that proceed from the door of my mouth. It has made a huge difference in getting both my overactive imagination to settle and the words of my mouth to be an offering of praise to the King.
    May you have abundant blessings as you continue to share about His grace!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dawn, for you beautiful words. Yes, it's so important to apply this to ALL of our thoughts! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete