Saturday, October 25, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 24: Whatever is Lovely

source



Today's Challenge: 
Don't allow the poison of the world into your thoughts. Think about lovely things.

Lovely is a word my mother uses. It's sort of old-fashioned. 

I had a lovely time.
Oh, don't you look lovely.
What a lovely young man/woman.

Merriam Webster defines lovely as

  1. attractive or beautiful especially in a graceful way
  2. very good or likable
  3. very pleasing
  4. delightful for beauty, harmony or grace
  5. grand, swell
  6. eliciting love by moral or ideal worth
Google (which apparently has its own dictionary now too) defines it as 
     
exquisitely beautiful


It's actually a lovely word.

Just think of the synonyms: attractive, beautiful, graceful, very good, likable, very pleasing, delightful, grand, swell

and my favorite---the very last one---


eliciting love by moral or ideal worth

We are to think on things that are things that elicit love by their moral or ideal worth. Things that are worthy of our thoughts, if you will.

Lovely things.

Things of exquisite beauty. Harmony. Grace
Things that are likable and pleasing.
Things that bring us delight.
Things that stir our hearts. 
Things that capture our souls in the moment.

We are to devote our thoughts to those things which cause us to love. Things that are worthy of that love.

We are to set our minds on the lovely things above.
The loveliness of creation
The loveliness of Jesus.

When we think on things that are lovely, I believe that God is pleased. It brings Him delight. After all, He was the first one to ever say something was "very good" when He created man. 

Perhaps He stood back and said, "Well, isn't that lovely!"

And I used to roll my eyes whenever my mother used that word. I will now consider it a great compliment to be called lovely.

Blessings Along the Path,









Song of the Day
Here I Am to Worship (Michael W. Smith)

sharing this post with Barbie at The Weekend Brew

2 comments:

  1. I love the word lovely and I'm actually guilty of using quite often too. Such a lovely post this was. Seriously. It's added inspiration to focus on all that is lovely today. What a beautiful way to begin the day. Thank you! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post, Mare! and I mean that sincerely! Lovely is actually a word I use, too, but then I like "old" words. You didn't reference it, but your post is about one of my favorite scriptures: Philippians 4:8 - have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete