Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 26: If Anything is Excellent or Praiseworthy




Today's Challenge: 
Think about excellent things

Atrocious. Lousy. Awful. Pathetic. Rotten. Wretched. Terrible. Vile.

Do you want to think on these things?


Of course you don't. Not on purpose. But we often do. They are antonyms of the word excellent; we might say that they are the opposite thoughts of those thoughts that are excellent

What are excellent thoughts?

Thoughts that are very good, extremely good (of its kind), superior.

Of its kind.

It's sort of like my trying to run a marathon and not succeeding because it's not something I typically do. It's not "of my kind."

If I hiked a marathon instead, I could train to be excellent--very good "of my kind."

Many bible versions use the word virtue instead of excellent...if anything is of virtue.

The Greek meaning of this word, virtue is...get this...manliness! HUH?

Yes, manliness. Okay, I'm not a scholar, theologian, or minister. Remember? I keep telling you that. 

But guess what?

According to Merriam-Webster, one of the definitions of virtue is...manly strength or courage, valor!

Stay with me...
This word actually comes from another word, airo (Greek)

Airo is a primary verb meaning to lift, to take up or away, to expiate (atone for) sin, away with, bear (up) carry, lift up, loose, make to doubt, put away, remove, take (away, up).

So, this ordinary woman is led to believe, through these definitions, that the word virtue indicates Someone of manly character who will take away my sin.

One who carried His cross
One who was lifted up on that cross
One who expiated (atoned for) my sin
One who put away my debt
One who took up and away the penalty for death
the penalty that I owed.
One who removed the guilt
One who now makes me doubt 
that I am to stay in negativity 
in order to punish myself
because there was One
who was of valor
who was of virtue
who is Excellent
One who is superior "of His kind."
Because there is only One.
The One who is worthy of 
my thinking on these excellent things.
These excellent things
are the ones I will meditate on.

Excellence and praise are perhaps in the same sentence because once you begin to meditate or think on these excellent things, you can't help but begin to praise the God who made it all happen. 

According to the Strong's Concordance, something that is praiseworthy is a commendable thing; something over and above the rest; a laudation (tribute).

If we dwell on the negative, we will never find anything of excellence, anything above the rest to pay tribute to. We will always dwell in the underworld of life, finding only the most pathetic and lousy things to commend.

I know that sounds strange, but 

even in the negative, 
we are praising and paying tribute to something. 

And the more we pay tribute to the negative, the more momentum it will gain until it's the most excellent of its kind.

Who or what will you choose to praise and give tribute to today? 

Will you choose negativity?

Or Excellence?

Blessings Along the Path,








sharing with Holly at Testimony Tuesday, Jen at Unite

No comments:

Post a Comment