Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 27: Put It Into Practice

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me---put it into practice. Phil 4:9

What have you learned from me? What have you received from me?

Well, since I can't hear your response, I'll at least assume that you've learned something.


Let's review what we've (hopefully) learned: 
*Some of these did not get into the "31 Day Challenge" but will most likely be explored further, perhaps in the form of a book. Unfortunately, I just didn't have time to develop every topic.
**Some of the topics in the outline below are duplicate posts; because I wrote these posts by the seat of my pants, I didn't have time to edit...


Traits of a Negative Person 

Negative Thinking Comes From Many Sources
    1. Excuses: Negative Reasoning
      1. It's Too Hard
      2. I Can't 
      3. I Don't Have Enough_____.
      4. I Don't Know How
      5. Why Bother?
      6. I'm Too Tired
      7. I Don't Feel Like It
    2. Emotions: Negative Self-Talk
      1. Guilt
      2. Fear
      3. Ridicule and Shame
      4. Doubt
      5. Self-Loathing/Self Pity
      6. Rejection and Insecurity*
      7. Self-Fulfilling Prophecies/Condemnation*
    3. Attitudes: Negative Projection*
      1. Judgment and Criticism*
      2. Whining and Complaining*
      3. Entitlement and Pride*
      4. Unrealistic Expectations/Double Standards*
      5. Jealousy and Envy*
      6. Grumbling and Faultfinding*
      7. Doom and Gloom*
In Order to Stop Negative Thinking We Must
    1. Take responsibility for our actions and words**
    2. Recognize negativity**
    3. Stop the pattern**
    4. Learn to see ourselves as God sees us
    5. Lasso our thoughts
    6. Retrain our brain
    7. Get out!**
To Stay Out of Negativity, We Learn to Think on Things That Are: (based on Philippians 4:8-9)
    1. True
    2. Noble
    3. Right
    4. Pure
    5. Lovely
    6. Admirable
    7. Excellent and Praiseworthy
Hopefully, you've seen some of this in me (if you know me outside of the Blogosphere). This isn't anything I've come up with that hasn't been taught before. And I need it as much as you do.

So, how do we "put it into practice?

Well, how do you put anything into practice? 

You just do it.

You don't become a concert pianist without intense practice.
You don't become an Olympic athlete without diligent practice.
You don't become a surgeon by contemplating the instruments.
And you don't stop being negative by just reading about it.

You take the steps to change.
Even if it's hard.
Even if it feels "wrong."
Even if you face opposition...and you will, because satan does not like any of God's children to rise up out of oppression, overcome obstacles or break through the chains of any other negative influences. Because when we do, people will notice the change and ask us what we did to get there. And God will be glorified.

And satan can't have that! 

So he will try his darnedest to keep you oppressed, behind the obstacle and otherwise negatively influenced.

Don't give in!

Keep going!

Put everything you've learned into practice. 

Know scripture. Write it down. Use it when those thoughts come. Replace the negative thoughts with scripture--what God says about you, about others and about situations. That will defeat the enemy and give you strength to fight the battle.

Use your concordance to find scriptures. If your bible doesn't have a concordance, try biblegateway or biblehub to look up scriptures or keywords. 

Learn. Practice. Defeat.

Blessings Along the Path,









Sharing with Rosilind at A Little R&R Wednesday, Judith at Wholehearted Wednesday, Shari at Word Filled Wednesdays, Holley at Coffee for Your Heart

7 comments:

  1. What a cool topic, Mary! Too many of us fall into this default mode ... always whining, complaining, belly-aching.

    I'm with you ... Philippians 4 is a gold mine, the steps to exit this never ending cycle of despair.

    So glad to have met you at Holley's today ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, for stopping by to visit and for your kind words. This was always my life verse, but I could never remember the verse because of all the adjectives. Taking them one by one has helped me to remember! Now, there's no excuse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great resource you have built and provided for us, Mary! I do hope you'll add to the Wedded Wed linkup! There's so much wisdom and biblical truth put into practical applications that I'd love to share with my readers. Thanks so much for doing all this hard work! You've "studied to show yourself approved" (2 Tim. 2:15).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Beth! I am quite tired from all of this...but that in itself is a negative statement haha! Although I've visited your blog, how was I not aware of Wedded Wed? I'll have to check that out. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice - put it into practice - by practicing, everyday! Put on that smile, surround yourself with positive thoughts, center yourself in prayer and gratitude - and just try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's right Kathryn! Try...and we don't always succeed. It's equally important for us to remember that when we do not succeed, it is not failure and we need to just keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really does take practice! And we will always have those days of backsliding, but we just keep going. Thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete