Saturday, October 4, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 3: I Can't


Today's Challenge:
Change the Pattern of Your Thinking

Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Proverbs 23:7 says, "For as he thinks in his heart, so he is." 

Norman Vincent Peale, a minister and author of The Power of Positive Thinking was quoted as saying, "Change your thoughts and you change your world."

And who could ever forget the dear Little Engine That Could..."I think I can, I think I can..."

It seems to me that there is an awful lot of power behind our thoughts. We have the ability to accept or change the way we think. We can think negative thoughts and believe negative things about others, or we can believe the best in people and in ourselves. We can be joyfully positive or miserably negative.

There is only one thing that is between your can and your can't and that's one letter: t. Easy enough to just not say.

Of course, there are times when we literally can't due to physical limitations or lack of knowledge-legitimate reasons. But using "I Can't" as an excuse will keep you trapped in negativity. Maybe you are afraid, or lack the confidence. As Joyce Meyer says, "Do it Afraid." Do it anyway. Push past the fear. Maybe you can't, but God can. You may have heard this a thousand times, or maybe never at all:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 4:13)

It's true. Before you "do it afraid," ask Him to do it with you. Ask Him to give you the courage, the determination, the will, the strength and the grace.

As we move through the series, we will be looking at a few things:
1) The excuses we use that keep us in negative thinking
2) The types of negative thoughts and emotions that ensnare us
3) How our attitudes contribute to negative thinking
4) How to get off the treadmill of negative thoughts

We will specifically focus on this scripture from Philippians 4:8-9:

Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice.

And the God of peace will be with you.

Tell me the truth...doesn't it sound like a relief to know that the God of peace will be with you?

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Linking up with The Weekend Brew

1 comment:

  1. Mary, thank you so much for linking up with The Weekend Brew so that I could come here and read your thoughts. I struggle with negative thinking, more often than note. It's so important that I learn to speak forth the truth from God's Word over my life and not allow my negative thinking to detour me away from His blessing. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete