Sunday, October 5, 2014

Overcoming Negativity: Day 4: I Don't Have Enough


Today's Challenge: 
Make a list of all you DO have and watch your attitude change.

Don't...a close cousin of Can't

I don't have enough time
I don't have enough money
I don't have enough education
I don't have enough experience
I don't have enough talent
I don't have enough expertise
I don't have enough patience
I don't have enough confidence

The list could go on. You get the drift. You've said them all at one time or another...and more.

The bottom line is that they're all excuses and they all stem from insecurity or fear. Or both.

I have a passion for encouraging people to follow their dreams, because I think that dreams are so important to have. Yet so many people aren't doing their dream, and even more have either forgotten or tossed their dream aside. I used to think that the reason was the people along the way who told you that you can't.


But now, 

I believe that the biggest hindrance to following your dream is yourself.

You're bitter. Angry. Frustrated. Sad. Ashamed. Disappointed. Filled with regret. And that keeps you living the pattern of negative thinking.

The bottom line with "I Don't Have Enough" excuses is that you don't believe in yourself. Somewhere along the line, someone told you that you can't or someone laughed at you or mocked you or criticized you or did something to make you feel like you are not worthy of your dream. 

You can turn that around.



Why not think about what you DO have? 

Guess what? You have the same 24 hours in the day that I have! Maybe you're over-committed. Maybe you need to learn to say no and let some of those commitments go.

Guess what else? You probably have enough money for food. And shelter. And clothes. And shoes. Put in perspective, you may not have the money to do what you want right now, but if you stop feeling sorry for yourself, and thank God for what you DO have, He just might decide to bless you with more. And if He doesn't, your "attitude of gratitude" will be enough.

Education? Experience? Talent? Expertise? 

Guess what? Sometimes those things are over-rated.

I probably don't have enough of any of those things to be writing this. I'm grossly under-qualified. But I have a passion. I've learned along the way. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and when I don't know. I'm open to learning more. I write what I know. And I know negativity! I lived there for many years.

My girl, Joyce Meyer has stood on the stage in front of thousands of people, knowing that millions will also be watching her, and said that she really has no right to be standing there doing what she's doing. She has a 12th grade education and an honorary doctorate from several schools, but never went to college. She was schooled in the "School of the Holy Spirit." 

Education, experience, talent and expertise is often needed in some fashion, but not always, and not always in tandem with each other. 

Patience? Confidence? Well, those are topics for another day.

The bottom line here is this:

Stop saying "I don't have enough" and be grateful for what you do have. Train yourself to do that, and I promise you that you'll see a difference. You still may not have whatever it is you want or need, but at some point it just won't matter anymore.

Blessings Along the Path,









Video of the Day: Just for some fun...Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo Dat (Sweet Brown)

Sharing today with Janis at Sunday Stillness

2 comments:

  1. What excellent insight. I love that you are doing the 31 Days. Looking forward to reading the rest of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you discover all that you need to accomplish the tasks before you! God will supply the energy, direction and focus, and it is up to you to follow that still small voice!
    (I loved your post.)

    ReplyDelete